2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

MK2 Shogun 3.0 GLS V6 1999 - Cobra 5370 - alarm/immobiliser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> ICE / Radio / Sat-Nav / Alarms / Key Fobs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IncredibleMrT
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:22    Post subject: MK2 Shogun 3.0 GLS V6 1999 - Cobra 5370 - alarm/immobiliser Reply with quote

Hi,
I bought my Shogun a couple of weeks ago. It was sold to me with 1 single key - no fobs. I was told it had no alarm or immobiliser fitted.

Having had a mooch around over the weekend, I came across a Cobra 5370 unit in the engine bay.

See attached.

Also, to the RH side of the steering wheel, there's a little touch pin which i'm assuming is where I place the immobiliser dongle if I had one.

I want some security so this all pleased me. Just not sure where to go from here. What other bits do I need to find? Why isn't it set up? Is it just disabled by a fuse being pulled? Where can I get hold of the appropriate fobs, etc?

Any help or advice you can give will be greatly appreciated Smile

Thank
Matt.

Last edited by IncredibleMrT on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:26; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

IncredibleMrT
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so it seems I STILL can't upload pictures :/ I have an upload quota of 1Kb

Makes things awkward.

So, ok, suffice to say the Cobra 5370 box I found looks entirely as you'd suspect - a black alarm sounder with the Cobra logo and a few other details on there.

Why am I restricted to a 1Kb image?

Madness!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

IncredibleMrT wrote:

Why am I restricted to a 1Kb image?

Madness!

We all are!

You need to upload your photos to Photobucket and the link them to here using the "img code"

Instructions HERE
IncredibleMrT
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaah.....  Embarassed
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy when you know how - impossible if you don't  Very Happy
mick_n3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 16:59    Post subject: Re: MK2 Shogun 3.0 GLS V6 1999 - Cobra 5370 - alarm/immobili Reply with quote

IncredibleMrT wrote:
Hi,
I bought my Shogun a couple of weeks ago. It was sold to me with 1 single key - no fobs. I was told it had no alarm or immobiliser fitted.

Having had a mooch around over the weekend, I came across a Cobra 5370 unit in the engine bay.

See attached.

Also, to the RH side of the steering wheel, there's a little touch pin which i'm assuming is where I place the immobiliser dongle if I had one.

I want some security so this all pleased me. Just not sure where to go from here. What other bits do I need to find? Why isn't it set up? Is it just disabled by a fuse being pulled? Where can I get hold of the appropriate fobs, etc?

Any help or advice you can give will be greatly appreciated Smile

Thank
Matt.

If it's a UK spec flared arch Shogun it will have an immobiliser fitted as standard from the factory (chip in key), the Cobra alarm was either fitted at the import centre at Portbury docks or at the selling dealer and should be a Cobra Optimum hf2, this is just an alarm as you have an immobiliser built into the key.

You can get new remote fobs and the torpedo override touch key (that's the receptacle on the right of the steering wheel) from Cobra or I have used Southern Car Security a number of times. You will need to get the serial number of the control unit, this in theory could be anywhere as to comply with Thatcham regs there was no specific place to fit it, normally it will be.
1; behind kick panel in drivers footwell
2; behind radio in centre of dash (this is where I used to fit them and where my present one has been fitted)
3; behind kick panel in passenger footwell
4; I have seen them tucked up above the glove box

If you can find it you can then either send it to Cobra and they will supply and code new fobs or as I did get the coding pin number from Southern Car and buy new fobs and touch key and do it yourself, they provide all instructions for you to do it.

Hope this helps
Dmcmylor

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here too, only one fob. I've got a new one but need to find the serial number to get the pin code. How do the kick panels come off?
Calcifur83

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am having an issue with remote locking.  I have a '98 v6 shogun (wide arches) I have one key, and a fob, it says '[i]sterling' on it, and has 2 black buttons.  when i push them the little red light flickers but the car does nothing.  Its just had a new battery fitted by the previous owner, do i need to recode the fob?
IncredibleMrT
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:20    Post subject: Re: MK2 Shogun 3.0 GLS V6 1999 - Cobra 5370 - alarm/immobili Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay - been away. Did some milage, and the truck didn't fail me. Love it!
Anyway, back to the original matter. It is a UK model i'm sure of it. At least the details all over the vehicle match the reg docs - not sure what else I can check on that score.

So, you think the immobiliser could actually be working? And that the chip is inside my key handle? How can I test that? I'd need to get another key cut wouldn't I, that wouldn't have the chip.

Also, with regards to the Cobra 5370 sounder under the bonnet, I also found another cobra box tucked behind the dash panels just where the fuses are in the driver's footwell. Also, a couple of cables hanging loose that I have no idea what they are. This must be the control unit you mention.

I'll do as you suggest and get the code to have a fob programmed, and hope that the control unit is still wired in and functioning. Also, i'll see if I can find any installation instructions for said box, and make sure everything is there that needs to be.

Ta.

mick_n3 wrote:

If it's a UK spec flared arch Shogun it will have an immobiliser fitted as standard from the factory (chip in key), the Cobra alarm was either fitted at the import centre at Portbury docks or at the selling dealer and should be a Cobra Optimum hf2, this is just an alarm as you have an immobiliser built into the key.

You can get new remote fobs and the torpedo override touch key (that's the receptacle on the right of the steering wheel) from Cobra or I have used Southern Car Security a number of times. You will need to get the serial number of the control unit, this in theory could be anywhere as to comply with Thatcham regs there was no specific place to fit it, normally it will be.
1; behind kick panel in drivers footwell
2; behind radio in centre of dash (this is where I used to fit them and where my present one has been fitted)
3; behind kick panel in passenger footwell
4; I have seen them tucked up above the glove box

If you can find it you can then either send it to Cobra and they will supply and code new fobs or as I did get the coding pin number from Southern Car and buy new fobs and touch key and do it yourself, they provide all instructions for you to do it.

Hope this helps
h4rri

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory immobilizer chip will be in the key. Any branch of Timpsons etc should be able to cut you a key, my local cobbler produced one for £55.

Personally I wouldn't bother trying to re-use the alarm you currently have fitted, by the time you have bought a new fob, checked the system and got it working again it's cheaper to have a new one fitted by a decent mobile service. If you go for a new model you may also be able to get an insurance discount [Thatcham only].

Of course it entirely depends on how and why they disabled the alarm, did it have a fault? Have they returned the wiring to standard to disable it?
IncredibleMrT
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not sure. I haven't had it all out to check yet - to be honest, it's all a bit cramped under there. Not sure how i'd get it out, or even if i'd get it back in again.
Like I said, to be able to check, i'd need to source a set of installation instructions for it.

£55 for a key cutting? That's a little steep isn't it?

h4rri wrote:
The factory immobilizer chip will be in the key. Any branch of Timpsons etc should be able to cut you a key, my local cobbler produced one for £55.

Personally I wouldn't bother trying to re-use the alarm you currently have fitted, by the time you have bought a new fob, checked the system and got it working again it's cheaper to have a new one fitted by a decent mobile service. If you go for a new model you may also be able to get an insurance discount [Thatcham only].

Of course it entirely depends on how and why they disabled the alarm, did it have a fault? Have they returned the wiring to standard to disable it?
h4rri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

IncredibleMrT wrote:
I'm really not sure. I haven't had it all out to check yet - to be honest, it's all a bit cramped under there. Not sure how i'd get it out, or even if i'd get it back in again.
Like I said, to be able to check, i'd need to source a set of installation instructions for it.

h4rri wrote:

If it's a decent alarm they won't publish the installation instructions. It also depends on the 'style' of the installer as to how and where they made the cuts and joins etc. I used to make them as difficult as possible to trace for obvious reasons.

£55 is a good price for a chipped key. The cost of the blank, chip and duplication is all to be taken into account. You can get a basic copy for £5 but it won't start the car.
IncredibleMrT
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh aye! I was thinking it was just a basic key that you quoted. Like I said earlier though, is the only way to test if my immobiliser is working by using a key that doesn't have the chip?

h4rri wrote:
IncredibleMrT wrote:

h4rri wrote:

If it's a decent alarm they won't publish the installation instructions. It also depends on the 'style' of the installer as to how and where they made the cuts and joins etc. I used to make them as difficult as possible to trace for obvious reasons.

£55 is a good price for a chipped key. The cost of the blank, chip and duplication is all to be taken into account. You can get a basic copy for £5 but it won't start the car.
IncredibleMrT
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and also, you said any branch of timpsons - they will cut a key with the chip in and program it too? Never realised.

h4rri wrote:
IncredibleMrT wrote:

h4rri wrote:

h4rri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Have them scan the key to ensure they can duplicate it and let them have at it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> ICE / Radio / Sat-Nav / Alarms / Key Fobs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: