Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

One for Assasin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KEVINBUK

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:42    Post subject: One for Assasin? Reply with quote

But I would appreciate anyones experience or informed opinion on this... I originally posted this in the " other vehicles" section which is even quieter than this one, but i suppose the question may be relevant to anyone laying their Pajero up for the winter...

I have a Ducato 2.8 JTD of 2004 vintage with near 100,000 miles. I have now SORNed it until March or April next year and will change the oil and filter before using it again. Generally during the winter i start it up and bring it up to temperature around every four weeks or so.

My question is... Would it be better to delay the oil change until just before I start using it again or should I change the oil now?

I have already changed the air and fuel filters, coolant too as the waterpump was changed when the cambelt was replaced this week.

I could ask on the Fiat forums but i reckon this is so generic and there is such wisdom on here, I would ask here first at least.

K  Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

PeteHB

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a build up of acid byproducts in engine oil so I would change it now for what it costs.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always change it before storage, as already stated oil contains acids and new oil contains a lot less of them.

Run your engine every two weeks, run it up to temperature and then give it some revs to circulate everything, switch the heaters on once warm to minimise damp throughout the vehicle, let it run for at least 20 minutes once warm, park it in gear with the handbrake off and chock the wheels instead with the vehicle in gear.

If you have room you can drive it forwards and backwards a few yards and this is beneficial as it lubricates the gearbox and axle components not immersed in oil to give them some protection.
KEVINBUK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you all, i will get the oil and filter changed early next week and exercise her as you recommend every two weeks instead of monthly. I will also be linkng a mains cable from time to time especially in very cold weather to top up batteries and warm the habitation area through.

Much appreciated

Cheers

K  Wink
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensure you run it to working temperature, then rev it several times and run for 20 minutes, if you don't the water in the oil from the moist air won't evaporate off and it will generate more acids.
KEVINBUK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
Ensure you run it to working temperature, then rev it several times and run for 20 minutes, if you don't the water in the oil from the moist air won't evaporate off and it will generate more acids.

Thanks for that, the oil is now changed and the first warm up completed as you recommend.

Cheers

K  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: