eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

compass/temp gauge bulbreplacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc wilson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 18:19    Post subject: compass/temp gauge bulbreplacement Reply with quote

HI I HAVE A 2002 SHOGUN SPORT ANIMAL AND THE BULB IN THE COMPASS/OUTSIDE TEMP GAUGE HAS QUIT. NO-ONE AT MY LOCAL MITZY DEALERSHIP WOULD HELP OR KNEW HOW TO DO IT.
CAN ANYONE PUT ME RIGHT ON HOW TO ACCESS THE BULB AND REPLACE IT, CHEERS
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 18:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

GB1978

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi and welcome to the club

this was the first job i fixed on my sport..

from memory the plastic cover over the top/back of the guages just unclips.

you then have 2 screws that screw down into the dash  this will release the guage pod thingy ( nice and technical ) Laughing

undo the wiring plug

and you should then be able to dis asemble the unit

can't remember how many srews there is but it's not that big a job to strip it down .

best is to source the bulbs first .  i know halfords etc don't stock them

i actually used spare bulbs from my landcruiser dash switches .

so if you struggle go to toyota and order 2 bulbs from the fog light switch from a 1994 landcruiser amazon  Rolling Eyes

i know there not cheap though  Confused
vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only place I found for the bulbs was main dealer, part number MMR283314
doc wilson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:26    Post subject: 2002 shogun sport compass bulb replacement Reply with quote

geordieboy1978 and vijay

Thanks for the info on how to strip the unit down and the info on the bulb.
I have stripped it down and replaced the bulbs for the volt meter and oil pressure guage but I have drawn a blank on the compass as it has no obvious bulb holder like the other two, have you any ideas on how to access the bulb?
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the same as the older Pajero compass unit, the bulb is in the compass circuit board itself, so you'll have to remove the compass from the instrument pod.

Use the search function at the top of the page and you'll find a step by step guide to replacing compass bulbs, with photos.
GB1978

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to take the unit apart .  

strip it into lots of pieces .  

it was 6months ago when i did mine so can't remember what you have to do   just follow Rolling Eyes  your nose
robx1r

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

no the bulb is there on the top left looking at the back it will have to be un done with a flat head bulb its tiny
vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC there are t bulbs to the unit, the one on the top left is a bulb for the main unit, the compass has it's own bulbs which I think are the circuit board ones mentioned
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to do mine Exclamation  Stripped an old one down today [wish i'd taken pics now] anyhow pod out. Take great care not to loose the little plastic insets under the screws as this is what holds the screw cover on. 4 screws to remove the cowel 6 screws to remove the clear plastic front to allow access to the compass, remove the black plastic stickey tape and the double sided tape that holds the wires in place, no fingers on these as it stops it being stickey enough to replace. Remove the bulb for the tilt meter, to allow sufficient play to get the compass and its housing out you now have to get the housing off the compass, it clips on but is quite tricky to remove.
Mine has 2 bulbs that are the clip in type as found in the main panel, with the exception that thay are flat and have a screwdriver slot in them. God Knows where you will get them though.
Will when I get round to doing mine take some pics [That is unless you beat me to it] Also I'm going to investigate whether they are a capless bulb that can be removed/replaced. If so any good motor factors will have them, and of course Maplin.
Typo there You have to get the compass and its housing out of the main pod before you see the plastic tape
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capless bulbs can be used  Very Happy  Result.
I had a look at the bulb holder, used a sacrificial one to experiment. 1st drilled a small hole through it to see if the bulb would push out that way, it doesn't Crying or Very sad  so dont try that.
The wire ends of the bulb go through small hoes in the bottom of the holder and turn over 180 degrees then push into the clips/contacts.
I found that with the smallest of the screwdrivers in a precision kit, the wire could be pulled up and straightened sufficiently to allow the bulb to be removed. I recon a strong darning needle would do it too. Not yet tried to refit as no bulbs available. But recon should be easy enough.
On mine there are Blue plastic Question  covers over the bulbs, retain these to put over the new bulbs.
If anyone has a couple of bulbs, they are tiny smaller than lilliput [not holders] going spare I would gladly pay signed for/registered postage [GUYANA dont forget] and make a small donation to POCUK.
Tried to take pics but my camera doesn't appear to focus at such close range even in Macro mode.  Wonder Why  Question  Question tips from anyone with a Nikon Coolpix please.
[Edit] The bulb type No is 286 I have found a supplier but they dont ship to Guyana. Crying or Very sad
sugarshaker

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 21:26    Post subject: compass light bulbs Reply with quote

Ive just replaced mine. Removed the whole housing/casing using a flat bladed screw driver. Removed two screws, removed the wiring loom connector then took the whole item apart in shed. Try putting blue tack on flat screw driver to remove the grey lamp holders as they stick nicely and dont drop off. The whole job took around 20 mins. I can see again. Good Luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: