QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

duel flow oil filter question

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind these aren't high performance engines, they're designed for reliability in adverse conditions with poor quality fuel and oil and less than perfect maintenance. I bet there are bashed up old Pajeros in Africa that haven't had an oil change in 50,000 miles and handle rough, dusty conditions every day without missing a beat. I've seen Mark 1 2.5 diesel Pajeros in the mountains of Malaysia running on palm oil for fuel and using whatever is to hand for engine lubrication. Old diesel engines like these will turn clean engine oil black in minutes. You'll never filter all the particulates out - but there's no real need to, as the engine was designed to tolerate it.  

Dual filter type filters aren't really needed but given these ones are not much more expensive than standard ones, there's no harm in using one. Personally I'm happy enough with standard filters.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

fazer600

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fair point you have. Only posted this so others have a little more choice in filters. Baldwin also do a much longer one. More oil capacity but it was over £20 for 1. Will see how I get on with these for mow
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

High acid levels are also a danger to diesels running on 1000 ppm sulphur, and this of course can't be filtered out.

As said earlier, there's no substitute for on time oil changes.

Hi rich r, how do you know my truck hasn't had an oil change in 50 000 miles ?   Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really worth it, if a standard filter becomes blocked then you have to find out why.

As Trekker has already pointed out these vehicles were designed to run in adverse conditions and the standard filters are more than up to the job, the best option is to change your oil at the specified intervals which already err well onto the cautious side.
assassin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of caution, are you sure its a genuine Baldwin unit?

I ask because the Land Rover market is flooded with fake components from the far east and they are extending these fake components into the Toyota market and Mitsubishi markets and these fakes are on the rise.
fazer600

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

its got nothing to do with the original filter getting blocked, its more to do with the duel filter set up within it where the extra one filters down to a lower micron than the original full flow one could ever do thats all, ive been in contact with the company who sells them here in the uk and as far as i know they are original baldwin, have bought off them before years ago for my biodiesel filters
assassin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, glad they are genuine as dodgy parts are becoming a problem for Mitzy's now.

Mate fitted some allegedly original brake discs and pads to his RR, went off down the motorway and his first hard braking saw both discs explode and the glue bonding the backing to the friction pad melted, yes melted. Fortunately the deer he braked heavily to avoid had good acceleration and he missed it and it was light traffic so avoided an accident.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: