Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Trans sump gasket

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRAIGS2.5

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 16:16    Post subject: Trans sump gasket Reply with quote

Does anyone have or know where I can buy an auto transmission sump gasket on its own?
Milners only do it with filter and I have the filter already.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 16:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check against a workshop manual, but on the V4AW3 gearbox that I've got there's no gasket for the oil pan. Sealant is used.

Gaskets are used for the oil screen.

If you've got the same model gearbox and need a workshop manual me know and I will PM you with a download link.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same on mine - no gasket on the sump - but one for the internal oil filter.
CRAIGS2.5

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought, I have used sealent and no gasket but its leaking at the front.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use the RTV type sealant?

I use that but I always leave it to skin over for a few minutes before bolting up and then leave it for 24 hours before starting the engine.
CRAIGS2.5

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think that was it, black in a cartridge tube.
I think that's my problem I didn't let it dry off before I filled with trans fluid and used it.

I will annoyingly do it again and leave it to dry 24 before filling and starting.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rocker gasket kept leaking until I left it overnight to set properly - I actually read the instructions on the tube .... for the first time ever!  Very Happy
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - it really does pay to read the instructions on sealants, firstly to make sure it is appropriate for what you're using it for (ie some aren't designed to handle the heat or pressure of certain seals), and how you should apply it and how it cures.

You should really be using 3M ATD 8661, but that's not always available, so any decent semi-drying RTV type sealant that says it's suitable for engine or gearbox oil sumps. My personal favourite is ThreeBond 1215 - Subaru use it for everything on their 1990s models, goes on like toothpaste so is dead easy to get a nice 2.5mm bead exactly where you want it. My least favourite is 1980s Renault Thixo CAF - horrible consistency (really thick), sticks to everything (eg fingers) and takes ages to cure.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich r wrote:

You should really be using 3M ATD 8661, but that's not always available, so any decent semi-drying RTV type sealant that says it's suitable for engine or gearbox oil sumps. My personal favourite is ThreeBond 1215 - Subaru use it for everything on their 1990s models, goes on like toothpaste so is dead easy to get a nice 2.5mm bead exactly where you want it. My least favourite is 1980s Renault Thixo CAF - horrible consistency (really thick), sticks to everything (eg fingers) and takes ages to cure.

That's interesting Rich. The workshop manual that I have calls for Threebond 1281.   They also do a 1281B product which is identified as being ATF resistant.  What's notable is that the 1281 products are very much thicker than the 1215, which I guess will make them harder to apply. See:Threebond 1200 series sealants

I'm planning on removing the transmission sump this summer and cleaning the filter and magnets. I want to make sure that I use an appropriate sealant.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:

I'm planning on removing the transmission sump this summer and cleaning the filter and magnets. I want to make sure that I use an appropriate sealant.

Same here - let me know if you find somewhere to buy it Simon.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:

Same here - let me know if you find somewhere to buy it Simon.

I have emailed Threebond about product availability in the UK, and I will let you know what they tell me.

Please note that I didn't mean to imply that Rich's recommendation wasn't for a suitable product!

I suspect that a thicker sealant is specified so that the turnaround time is quicker for garages,  as it may hold pressure before it's fully cured.
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only referring to sealants in general - I don't know if 1215 is suitable for ATF. But for Gen II Legacy engine assembly it's lovely stuff Smile

Mitsubishi's 3M recommendation seems not to be easy to find, so I'd just pick something that says it is suitable for transmission sumps from a decent brand. Which means pretty much nothing sold in Halfords Wink
CRAIGS2.5

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody pajero, well I think its me that's the problem really.
Re sealed the sump at the weekend, left 24 hours to dry filled up and all ok for about a day, then leaking again now.

Im using this stuff as its what I had in the shed. I think this is my problem and its not right for the job
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Granville-Black-RTV-Silicone-Sealant-310ml-Cartridge-Multi-purpose-Gasket-maker-/371226342364?hash=item566ed073dc:g:dpIAAOSw6aVUpCX-

Whats the best stuff to use
CRAIGS2.5

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we think the Threebond 1215 would work.
This will be the 3rd time ive had sump off, don't want to do it again.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like Permatex 81180 is suitable for ATF - only one place on eBay stocks it though HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: