Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Yes it's the flashing lights again!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
popeyeferret

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 19:00    Post subject: Yes it's the flashing lights again! Reply with quote

Hi new member here hope you don't mind me jumping straight in asking for help!
So I've just bought a 1992 Pajero exceed 2.5td
I have the lights for the front wheels flashing all the time
The guy I bought it off said it was just a sensor issue and it all worked fine but I know he was telling me fibs... To be fair I've had one of these before and I'm sure I could hear and feel a bit of a clink when I engaged and disengaged 4 wheel drive which I should have realised I couldn't this time but never mind

I've found pages about this etc including the good one at 4wd.blogeasy and I've read up about the different sensors etc, all of which I may have to look into, but my question is this;

The 4wd actuator doesn't move at all and I can't move it by hand, should I be able to? Could it be as simple as its sieved? There's an oil weep at the back of the engine which has been there years and there's loads of black oil on it

What's the chances of it being stuck in 4wd? You'd think it'd get stuck in 2wd if anything as this is what always gets used but I ask because when in 4wd position the lights are steady on and happy. Is there an easy way to tell?

Many thanks in advance

I have some more bits and bats but one thing at a time lol! Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 19:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to move the actuator easily by hand - they seize up if 4WD isn't used often.

Pull back the rubber boot and regrease it and work it by hand until it moves easily.

You can test if it is in 4WD by finding a gravel car park and accelerating and looking for skid marks from all four wheels.
popeyeferret

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't move it all its totally solid
Hopefully that's all it is and it can be sorted, it would be amazing if it was that simple
As for the gravel car park that's a great idea I'll do that thanks
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flashing light fix on Blogeasy says

Quote:

If it is not moving is probably seized from lack of use, carefully pull back the rubber boot and get some grease on the actuator rod. Try and slide it - it should move fairly easily if you jack a wheel and turn it a bit.

Mine moves without having to turn a wheel - but mine gets greased twice a year and I exercise my 4WD every couple of weeks.
popeyeferret

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
So I know the actuator doesn't move and I can't move it by hand
I'm going to try it again tonight and see if I can get it freed up

Am I right in thinking that if there has been a failure within the vacuum system that the 4x4 will be stuck in 4wd as by default the spring is keeping it in 4wd and the vacuum pulls it out and puts it into 2wd?

Going to try the jacking a wheel tonight if I can find a suitable jack as there isn't one in this Paj :-/
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - default mode is 4WD as I understand it.

Don't forget to use an axle stand or blocks when you jack it up - they are heavy trucks to get squashed under!

I would be tempted to use a pair of Mole grips on the actuator shaft to get a good grip on it - but don't mark the shaft where it slides in the diff housing.
popeyeferret

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

I don't think I've got a suitable jack for tonight to be fair

Just covered it in wd40 and I'm going to return to it later
I did think about the mole grips but was conscious of scoring it I'll try to do it toward the other end and maybe give it some little taps and we might be in business!

Thanks again
popeyeferret

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so developments...

Been trying to move the actuator with mole grips and wd40 etc, that thing is bloody siezed all right no amount of vacuum would move that bleeder :-/ I finally got it to move and it went IN wards to the diff, which I believe means it is in 4wd? Could I hell as like move it again or get it back out but I'll let the wd40 work a bit longer

Strange thing is the flashing lights have gone OFF and display says it is in 2wd.... :-S
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 is not a good lubricant - you are better with something like PlusGas, it loosens most things.

It is just a matter of working it until it's free - then grease it really well.

I would concentrate on getting it moving and then see what the lights do.

Good luck.
popeyeferret

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

After it did move (once) into the engaged position I believe, it popped out again while driving. Ive now had mole grips on it again and it will
Not move at all. I don't believe it could be that siezed
Is there potential for a problem inside the diff itself that could be stopping it from moving? Its totally solid

Starting to get really disheartened now

Thanks
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried jacking up the wheel and rotating it - maybe it just needs a bit of rotation to let it mesh inside the diff.
popeyeferret

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sorry I'm still here banging on :-/ I really appreciate your help

I haven't jacked the wheel and turned it but I have been driving the truck inbetween trying to move the actuator

I have also when wiggling the 4wd stick that I've managed to engage the centre diff lock without it being lit up as when I've turned the wheels the fronts have been gripping. God knows what's going on

Would a new front 4x4 diff complete with actuator solve all my problems? I can get one for £50 locally

But gutted about this now I've clearly been sold a right pup

Hoping I can do something about this without spending a load of money as I'm paying for a holiday Sad
popeyeferret

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sorry I'm still here banging on :-/ I really appreciate your help

I haven't jacked the wheel and turned it but I have been driving the truck inbetween trying to move the actuator

I have also when wiggling the 4wd stick that I've managed to engage the centre diff lock without it being lit up as when I've turned the wheels the fronts have been gripping. God knows what's going on

Would a new front 4x4 diff complete with actuator solve all my problems? I can get one for £50 locally

But gutted about this now I've clearly been sold a right pup

Hoping I can do something about this without spending a load of money as I'm paying for a holiday Sad
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you need to change the diff.

I'm not sure what happens inside the diff but I assume the actuator somehow meshes a couple of gears together.

If the actuator is not moving easily then the vacuum won't be strong enough to move it when driving the truck.

I would get the wheel up off the ground and try working the actuator shaft and wiggling the wheel so that whatever meshes together inside the diff gets lined up properly.

Ignore the centre diff for now - do one thing at a time.

The system is quite strong - I think yours hasn't been used much and is just seized, but it should be possible to free it.
shogun-fife

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this a few weeks ago with my paj. My actuator shaft wouldn't move by hand either but it wasn't seized, turned out to be duff vacuum solenoid valves which are easy to check as described in that 4x4 blog. I got new valves on ebay for under £20.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: