2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

removing the catalytic converter 3.5 v6 1996

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skinny kangal

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 19:28    Post subject: removing the catalytic converter 3.5 v6 1996 Reply with quote

hi all. i badly need some advice. we are doing a long trip and the heat coming through the floor is incredible.
i believe the cat contibutes much of this unbearable heat.
what are the downsides to removing the cat.??
there is one sensor just in front of the cat. what should i do with that if i remove the cat?
thanks for all ideas and suggestions.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 19:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there is a lot of excess heat then there must be something wrong with the cat itself as there should be no heat coming through the floor....as it had an aftermarket one fitted if it has that could be the problem,best bet would be to get a magnaflow sports cat fitted,i got mine from the USA via fleabay as it was cheaper than buying one here and as it,s stainless steel it gets hot but disperses quickly.... Wink
hutchy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the one i have fitted catalytic convertor makes a massive difference and never failed an mot Wink
skinny kangal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the ideas. the car runs really well. the only problem is the heat coming through the floor. the seat heats up because of its connection to the floor. some will be from the gearbox but that i cannot take out. if i were to swap one cat for another we may have the same problem.
i am now in Turkey. they do have aftermarket 'universal' cats available but of unknown quality.
do you know anything about taking the cat out?
we will also be trying to improve the heat sheilds but there is not much space available to add thickness to them.
hutchy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on how many bricks are inside the cat mitsubishi made them with three so they are quite fat and long most aftermarket ones only have 2 plus the cell ratio inside if you look inside the cat the holes are close together which reduces gas flow therefore increases heat sports cats have more open holes best ones are sports cats which start at 200 cel and go up to 700 cell less heat..you can decat it,but you will have to put a cat back on come mot time Wink
skinny kangal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. i want to thank you for your input and to let you know what i did.
i went to our nearest decent exhaust centre. 200 kms drive. they had a few generic universal cats but knew nothing about numer of cells or flow rates. all were no name but one. that one was a magnaflow!! i googled the part number and found a us blog reference by a bloke who was going to fit it to a 3.4l v6 toyota so i went for it. on the way home the car was more responsive and used 2 littes less fuel  on the drive home!
whilst they were doing the job i asked them to invent and fit some further heat sheilding. they did this by getting some scrap off a wrecked bwm and re shaping it. they then screwed it onto the original plates.
i was able to get under the car and check the work..all seemed very secure so very happy with the outcome.
thanks again. the ride home was much more comfortable.
hutchy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad your sorted Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: