Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Greetings from a worried new owner.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomfunk8527 wrote:
how do I know what ones are any good?

From what I have read on here the mechanic I mentioned earlier used THIS bloke - although I have no personal experience of him.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Boomfunk8527

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems really cheap compared to some other ones I have seen on eBay....

If you fancy a weekend in bonny Scotland let me know as you can help me haha!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomfunk8527 wrote:
That seems really cheap compared to some other ones I have seen on eBay....

If you fancy a weekend in bonny Scotland let me know as you can help me haha!

I wimped out when mine needed doing and used a local Mitsy independent  Embarassed
ady 100

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems a good price to me and 1 year guarantee , thing you will need are inlet gasket , exhaust gasket , new head bolts , head gasket from mitsubishi the other parts I got from milner 4x4 far better price than mity , you may also consider getting a new thermostat and gasket , you will find other bits that need replacing as you take it apart I did , don't expect to do the job in a weekend unless you are lucky that is , I stripped my engine and then ordered the parts that way you find all parts you need in one go .
Boomfunk8527

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok chaps I have managed to find someone I know who can do the labour on job for £250 which is fine, I just need to supply the parts.

Can you help by listing all the basic parts I need to order for the job as would help massively. If I need anything extra I'll worry about that at the time. Just looking to get a list of essential parts needed.

Thanks in advance again lads.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a genuine Mitsubishi head gasket.

I would use new head bolts

You will need a rocker cover gasket and RTV sealer to stop it leaking.

New inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets

There must be other bits - others will be along to help.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a list of parts that I used when I fitted a new head gasket a couple of years ago.

Head gasket - should be the correct thickness based on piston protrusion. Best to check marking on block once head removed, then obtain appropriate gasket.  Source: Mitsubishi (I'd be happy with Victor Reinz also)

Head bolts and washers - Victor Reinz

Inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets - Victor Reinz

Exhaust manifold to turbocharger gasket - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-8-4M40-TURBO-TO-MANIFOLD-GASKET-MITSUBISHI-PAJERO-SHOGUN-1990-TO-2000/371509854839 (It's only the triangular one that you actually need)

Rocker cover gasket and half-moon seals http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BGA-ROCKER-COVER-GASKET-SEAL-WITH-MOONS-SEALSMITSUBISHI-PAJERO-SHOGUN-2-8-4M40-/220969215068

By-pass pipe O-rings: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Orings-MD030763-Thermostat-to-Head-Bypass-2-8TD-4M40-Mitsubishi-Pajero-Delica-/322171973286

Timing chain tensioner gasket.  It's the gasket shown in this set: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitsubishi-DELICA-L400-2-8TD-4M40-Timing-Chain-TENSIONER-Gasket-/222169889040   I can't locate the gasket alone at the moment. But if you can't get one, tell your mechanic not to use silicon sealant instead as it can block the oilway.

Victor Reinz gaskets are available from Ivor Searle Ltd : http://www.ivorsearle.co.uk

Note: The Ebay links are just to show you what you're looking for. I haven't searched for the best price and I don't vouch for the quality of the items shown.
Boomfunk8527

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that list of required items and for taking the time to send me the links too. I take it the 2.8 in your challenger is just the same lump that is in my pajero pretty much?
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomfunk8527 wrote:
Thanks for that list of required items and for taking the time to send me the links too. I take it the 2.8 in your challenger is just the same lump that is in my pajero pretty much?

No problem. I hope it helps. Yes, the 2.8 engine in the Challenger is virtually identical to the one in the Pajero. AFAIK it's only the sump and dipstick that are different. The Challenger never got the newer 'electronic' fuel pump either.

I assume that your mechanic has access to a workshop manual for the 2.8 4M40 engine? As you will appreciate it's really important to get the head bolt torque and tightening sequence correct. Replacing the head gasket is covered very well in the manual.  If you'd like a copy let me know and I will PM you with a download link.

Also have you checked the condition of the entire cooling system - radiator, hoses, thermostat, water pump, viscous fan clutch?  It's really important that the entire system is in good order to prevent the head going again.

Whilst you're at it, it's worth fitting an aftermarket coolant temperature gauge so that you can keep an eye on things in future. The standard gauge isn't useful.
KEVINBUK

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I must sound like a broken record but if you are tearing the engine down this far you should seriously consider replacing the camchain while you are there. If money is really tight then ok you can do it later but at least give the chain and tensioner a good inspection,mand decide from there.

Good luck with your repairs.

K  Wink
wooby23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="peteinchad"]Definitely a genuine Mitsubishi head gasket.

Absolutely agree with this!

I was cash strapped when my head went (although its a 2.5 same rules apply). I could only afford a cheap flee bay head but went with a proper Mitsi gasket. that was 4 or so years ago and still going strong.

Wink
ady 100

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev I read some where can't remember where but the cam chain on pajeros very rarely need replacing but some one will probably say I am wrong  Rolling Eyes
Boomfunk8527

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guys, as for the timing chain etc I couldn't afford to do that at the current time only the head and necessary coolant system repairs if any of that needs done. Really don't want to spend 1000's on the Pajero.
ady 100

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

in times gone by I worked on if it's not broken don't fix it , most things can be fixed later when money and time allow . Smile
Boomfunk8527

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Yeah true!

If I had a pot of cash I could spend on getting everything nice and new I would as do love these motors but my main objective is to get the head fixed ans cooling system sweet, once they are done I can then plan future works and do the things bit by bit.

The Mrs isn't happy but hey ho lol!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: