QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

revs high, heaters not blowing hot, water leaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legoearth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 0:25    Post subject: revs high, heaters not blowing hot, water leaking Reply with quote

Hi all, Got a bit of a problem. Idling at  over 1000. Engine gets up to temp very quickly but as yet not over heating. Heaters are just blowing cold air and we are losing water from somewhere under the intercooler. It's a2.8 swb manual diesel 1994/95. Any ideas where to start trouble shooting? Think it's had a leak for some time as there is some rust on whatever part it is dripping on but it's only just started displaying these symptoms. Topped up expansion tank a few days ago before we saw the leak and it seemed to settle down but water is coming out pretty fast now.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 0:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

dhammika

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "Somewhere under the intercooler" it can be either rad top hose (which is in front of the engine) or the heater hose which is at the back of the engine.

Please can you be more specific?
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

No heater and high idle are caused by lack of coolant, the heater is always first thing to suffer and cold start device needs a flow of hot coolant passed through it to turn idle down....

So........ on this basis thankfully you most likely have only one problem not three! A coolant leak.

Top up coolant and then run engine with intercooler off and see where it's leaking from, should hopefully be fairly easy to spot.

Oh and when removing intercooler 4 bolts at each corner, two hoses and one bolt on rear bracket to leave the twin VSV's vac hoses and electricals on the car (much easier than taking pipes off  Very Happy
legoearth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Finally got to the bottom of this stop/start leak problem. After much faffing and chopping off of bits of top hose and adding of more radweld by mechanic, the top hose split open! WE replaced it, there is no drop in water level in either the expansion tank nor rad and heaters work just fine. Revs are still way up at 1400 after 3/4 minutes though. I know it's been months since my original post but it really has been a stop/start leak! Revs only went up with the water loss so I'm assuming its still causing the problem. What else could it be? No over heating. No lack of power, minimal smoke. Any ideas please?
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

legoearth wrote:
Hi, Finally got to the bottom of this stop/start leak problem. After much faffing and chopping off of bits of top hose and adding of more radweld by mechanic, the top hose split open! WE replaced it, there is no drop in water level in either the expansion tank nor rad and heaters work just fine. Revs are still way up at 1400 after 3/4 minutes though. I know it's been months since my original post but it really has been a stop/start leak! Revs only went up with the water loss so I'm assuming its still causing the problem. What else could it be? No over heating. No lack of power, minimal smoke. Any ideas please?

But have you really got to the bottom of it or was the split top hose a symptom of overheating? Not impressed by the description "faffing and chopping off of bits of top hose and adding of more radweld by mechanic". It's possible that the radweld has simply blocked the previous leak. If this was my vehicle I'd strip the entire cooling system down, flush out the block and radiator, check both for flow rate/blockages, fit a new water pump and thermostat, and refill with antfreeze mix. Having done that I'd then check the temperatures at various points of the system with an infra-red thermometer. This is all pretty easy DIY stuff. I wouldn't let that mechanic anywhere near it.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopping of bits of top hose and adding more rad weld  Shocked  sounds like a real pro to me  Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: