eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

1999 SWB Pajero 3.5 overheating in desert only

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaurav

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 17:11    Post subject: 1999 SWB Pajero 3.5 overheating in desert only Reply with quote

Hi guys, its very nice to see so many Pajero enthusiast under one roof.

I bought 99 Pajero 3.5 (SWb) 2 door with Automatic gear about 1 month back with 138k kms on clock and in good condition. I can drive this for hrs and hrs and everything is fine. When going in desert and engaging 4x4 if drive on low revs temp goes up very slightly and very slowly. But if i drive in Hi revs which i have to in sand in climbing dunes it overheat real bad that i have to exit desert immediately.

I thought due to its age radiator must be clogged, so got it all opened and cleaned all pipes in detail but no luck. Just tested today after radiator cleaning its still throwing heat.

Any leads or advises are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 17:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

chris66

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the club. Someone i know  had the same problem and there had been a recall by Mitsubishi to rectify the fault. I can't remember what it was. His repair was free. I will find out what the problem was and post it up.
gaurav

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chris, i really appreciate your effort and concern.

Some other thread i was reading also pointed abt changing ATF to absorb more heat in gearbox, or change engine oil etc. How far that could be the reason?????
nick-dudley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any undue water pressure in the system, ie hard hoses? is it pushing water out through the expansion bottle?
might be a head gasket problem, could be as simple as thermostat, or water pump even, is there any water loss?
any bubbling noises through the heater?
check when its overheating if the heater is actually still blowing hot too Wink
gaurav

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nick, for your valuable input.

Thermostat is out last week as first doubt. Regarding coolant before it was the same coolant with which i purchased (dont know the mixture ratio). After cleaning the radiator i am running on bottled drinking water as for dubai antifreeze is not imp. Once sorted with trouble ill top up with original coolant, as mitsubishi coolant is quite expensive here (8 liter = 60 USD).

I have driven many cars with clean drinking water before as a test and it shud work fine. But still i always buy coolant as its long lasting unlike water.

Dubai temp at the moment is around 40 degree centigrade (+- 2)

I chekced the viscose fan and both speed when hot and its working fine.

When its over heating water is coming out from expansion bottle, may be radiator cleaner guy filled the bottle too so i want to re check on next overheating. But its coming out little not too much.

If no overheating i mean only on road there is absolutely no water loss.

On first over heat after its cooled down with running engine i top up water and after gulping 3 liter water stood properly without any bubbles nor hesitating level up and down. I doubt the gasket, as throttle and engine response is so good that its unbelievable to be 3.5 liter engine car. lol.

Another important question, while cleaning the radiator i noticed that radiator tank top has three line space and under that it has two line radiator, which was weird to see. And with radiator condition due to age its hard to notice if its original or not. Is every 3.5 swb pajero in 99 had two line or three line radiator??????? All you know is non genuine cheaper radiator could be the cause.

Do you think changing ATF and Engine oil might help, as may be atf is worn out and thats why not absorbing enuf heat and returning it back to the radiator (same for engine oil too).???????
(i read this in some thread and want to know people opinion if it make sense in my case)
gaurav

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, here's the latest update.

I got the fully synthetic engine oil, and new Mitsubishi ATF (SPIII) gear oil and also changed the filter and gasket and gear foundation. gear is much smoother and no jerky now.

Good news is the radiator cap inside rubber matting was loose as per other newer cap. So changed and it made a little difference.

But sad part is car still overheating in desert today, but at very slower pace than before and after fully touching the thermo icon top AC cut off and i noticed that no water or coolant overflow neither from radiator nor from spare bottle. As in last incident it all overflowed coz of loose air i guess from rad cap.

Also noticed that AC fan is only running with AC, if car is over heating and i switched off AC to reduce the load but AC fan suppose to work as car is overheating, but no AC fan also went off. Im sure its non genuine.

Third thing that in this model pajero Clutch fan has two speed or only one? As while overheating i noticed that clutch fan was running at regular speed not HI.

Finding: Shall i change AC fan first and test or change both AC and Clutch fan????
gaurav

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

First reply for radiator swap idea:

All the sizes that i could check w/o opening radiator was same in both the cars, and even hose pipe socket and bolt pattern is same.

We opened both radiator and figured out that 3.5 radiator is higher than 3.0 radiator.

Hence we didn't swap and wasted lot of man hours and money. Sad

Second reply for solving overheating issue:

But one of my landy expert pointed that please try clutch fan change from that 3.0 friend pajero as a test and see if it works, as nothing else is left than clutch fan, AC fan, coolant, and radiator clean up. And its japanese car in dubai is like they are built for 50+ degree centigrade.

So i did swap clutch fan and filled radiator with Prestone coolant having boilver point of 126 degree centigrade.

Next day tested the car in desert and in 30 minutes i drove for 14kms with the temp needle at standard center position. So main culprit was clutch fan, i will get a new clutch fan and return my friends one soon.

THANKS A TON GUYS, for all help and brainstorming with me.
El Ricko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

the viscous fan clutch is a common failure and sadly often over looked componnent.

im amased by the number of pajero's that have faulty viscous units.

as a rule of thumb the fan should 'roar' a for a short while when you drive off with a cold engine  and also when working hard.
surfi7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello there
i am interested in buying a 2003 pajero 2 door 3.0v6 . I drove the vehicle twice and in my first trial i noticed that the engine was getting hot and getting closer almost 90% and the A/c cut off and hot air was blowing out . I actually was doing 130-140 kmph and it was 40 + degrees outside ( dubai )  .. so  i thought maybe it was me .. Then today again i took it out for a test and it happened all over again in normal driving conditions . I am very much confused to wht im supposed to do and wht is the problem. I am looking up garages where i can get a complete check for the same .

i am new to 4x4's and i would really appreciate it if i can get some information . I dont want to go to a garage and get fooled with no insight . And most imp this car has done 137,000 kms so , should i actually buy this ?

Pls advice guys !

thanks Smile
surfi7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ gaurav !

Can ya pls advice which garage you took your car to and how much did it cost ! im a lil worried i dont want to get into a mess ! pls pls help !!
gaurav

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

For overheating in normal road condition is worse than in desert. Do few test one by one to save money.

1) Check AC fan is working?
2) Check Viscous clutch (big one) behind radiator is working and also make more noise when overheat or just turn at regular speed?
3) Then get thermostat remove (20 aed) job from any roadside mechanic and drive. I am more positive it could be thermostat. In Dubai climate you can drive w/o thermostat thru out year so dont worry.

Let us know the update and we will guide u more.

Garage:
Golden finger in ghusais (arabic fellow) 050 7550911 (hisham)
Al beaa in shj behind BM road (Mallu fellow) 050 6974930 (Varghese)

They both are good, but lil expensive as they are pro.
mrsnuggles

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

using antifreeze will result in longer life of your engine as it.

raises the boiling point of the cooling water.

reduces corrosion inside of your engine so heat will be transferred faster.

keeps water seals in good condition for longer time than if only using pure water.

plus the antifreeze effect if you ever experience frost.
gaurav

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAD SAD SAD, Please help guys.

Just came from desert drive and immediately after 2 km in sand my pajero again started overheating and started throwing coolant from expansion bottle, so i exited and as i hit road temp came back normal.

So far i have done all this following things, please advise what next.

New 3 point (newer model pajero type) NGK (BKR6ETUB) spark plugs
New 3 HT lead and new 3 coils (due to slight missing and roughness)
Cleaned the radiator thorougly by opening it fully line by line
Filled with 40% (water): 60% mixture of radiator coolant (prestone)
Changed the viscose fan
Checked AC fan is working
Thermostat is out (but it was new, and i have preserved it in a jar of water to be refitted once all is well)
Changed Air filter
Changed fuel filter
Changed EGR gasket

On road it runs with beautiful acceleration and shifts normal and never overheat. I tried driving in 4x4 gear under 80kmph on road and still no overheating. As it enter desert it throw heat and at first start throwing coolant out of expansion bottle and coolant in the bottle start boiling VERY HOT.

It could be start of screwed up head gasket????? (then how come its still doing 0 - 100 in 12 secs on road)

Its 3.5 with 24 valve and 1999 model, if anyone has this model can you please confirm if the original radiator is 2 line or 3 line? As im also doubting it cud be radiator because when i removed and got it cleaned i saw it is 2 line but on the head of radiator there was design of 3 line, so may be previous owner thought of cost cutting in maint and got 2 line rad in past in place of 3 lines.
DiamondDallas

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Kindly Help I Own Pajero 2001 Manual Trans GCC spec (Rare to Find:P) and yesterday it Heated up all of sudden without any indication of Faults.
I regularly maintain this Baby of mine. last I changed upperarms from Al Beeah Garage Sharjah Professional in 4X4 but this happened all of sudden I tried puting water in radiator but it keeps drinking the water without showing any leaks I dont know what to do. Very worried kindly any advice
gaurav

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DiamondDallas, I found this GCC spec car forum in UAE and moved there to ask GCC spec cars related queries. They do have this Mitsubishi Forum where you can post your Pajero problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: