Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

a bar/nudge bar? rules?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurakj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 21:59    Post subject: a bar/nudge bar? rules? Reply with quote

hello, next week i am picking up my 2002 shogun. i really wanted a bar on it but it doesn't have one. can you advise if i am allowed one anymore, if so which type, (A, Wrap around, Bull?) and what should i look out for when buying one from ebay? as long as it says it comes from a shogun of around 2002, and is not rusty, will i be good to go? are they easy to fit etc?  very best wishes. new to shoguns/pajeros here!!  complete novice.....sorry!!!!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 21:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the DoT website:
"It is not illegal for vehicles to be fitted with bull bars, although the Department for Transport would not recommend their fitment unless it has been shown, through compliance with specified safety standards, that they do not pose an additional risk of injury to pedestrians or other vulnerable road users.

There are no plans for legislation to require bull bars that are already fitted to be removed. However, since 25 May 2007, it has been an offence for bull bars that have not been approved as compliant with those safety standards to be sold. Approved devices will carry an indelible ‘e’ mark. "

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/429995/bull-bars.pdf

However if you did fit one, even if compliant with the legislation, you would need to nofify your insurers. Some insurers don't allow bull bars, I understand.
laurakj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much.
also do you know if there are good insurers for shoguns. i am female, no points on my licence which i have had for 23 years. school runs and camping use only! best wishes
laura
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I hope it helped.

I've insured my Mitsubishi with Adrian Flux since I got it three years ago, and I've been very happy with their quotes. It's an 'import', so it's a little more difficult to get cover.  Also I couldn't apply any no-claims discount to it as it's a second vehicle and I had to start a new policy.  I began with an annual mileage restriction to reduce the cost, but they seem to have dropped that now.

There's a club discount too, so definitely worth a try. http://www.pocuk.com/insurance/adrianflux.htm
Rifleman

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you cannot fit a solid steel bar is for safety reasons, but you can have one fitted up to 1996 but it cannot wrap around the headlamps.
The reason you see modern vehicles with the chrome ones fitted are because they comply as they are made of tube, which will collapse in a collision. Because thay are tube, the have no sharp edges either so do less damage if it strikes a person.
I have one fitted to my 2006 Shogun Sport and I have to admit, it does improve the looks.
laurakj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks keith. do you know how i ensure i am buying a tube one, if i buy from eg, ebay?
best wishes
laura
Rifleman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you buy new you cant buy an illegal one mate.
I got mine from Ebay and very pleased with it.
Easy to fit as well with no drilling required.
Expect to pay around £200 depending on design.
I'll post a link to mine later today.
laurakj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks keith. i look forward to the link later. if it's not clear from the link, would i just type in something like, "new bull bar for mitsubishi shogun 2002"? to ebay?
ie as long as you specify the date of the shogun, it will fit? and is it definitely called a bull bar or is it an A bar? sorry to be so slow! new to shoguns!
laura
Rifleman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah remember to put "sport" and the year.
Mine was £179 plus postage.
Rifleman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you bud.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281387576547?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
laurakj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow

thanks for your help !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: