Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Testing a new temp gauge sender

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pinin & Jnr technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot day today and the temp gauge almost moved over the first mark. Laughing  Laughing It's the highest I've seen it!! Shocked
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 19:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really hot today being 30+° and wahay the gauge has gone into the lower normal section.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it's OK then.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
Seems like it's OK then.

Yup and thanks for the help. Wink
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
Seems like it's OK then.

Maybe not Pete.

I have done some research which is a PITA with Junior stuff and it seems there is a choice of 82° or 88° thermostats.  Now it might just  be that my stat has stuck open so I have decided to change it anyway but I have decided to fit an 88° stat.  I expect the the 82 is for hotter climates to keep the engine cooler and my thinking is we have not got Saudi desert daytime temps here.
Question is can I fit it with the gasket (comes in the package) dry or should I use a sealant? I ask because I might want to swap stats over more than once.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever know that I might want to remove something that has a gasket then I use Red Hermetite. It doesn't set solid so it is possible (with care) to peel the gasket off.

It might be worth making a paper pattern from the new gasket - then you can always make a new one using gasket paper (off eBay)
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
If I ever know that I might want to remove something that has a gasket then I use Red Hermetite.

Job's done.  88° Minica fitted a treat.   I had some blue gasket sealant and hopefully the job is sorted for life now.

Although in the past I have had the gauge's needle get into the lower part of the normal sector in really hot weather it would never go actually into the sector.

Now I watched for the first time as the needle rose to  ˝ way into the "normal" sector and started to worry a bit as it seemed  to me like it was at risk of rising higher but then it suddenly dropped (and I confirmed this by holding the top hose and feeling it warm up) as the stat must have opened into a good ⅓ up the normal range and dutifully sat there. Need to do field trials but I guess in winter this will make all the difference to petrol consumption, performance and heater output.

Superb.

Then I tested the one removed which was stamped 82°.  It cracked open at about 62° and was fully open at 71°.  In fact it looked fully open as soon as it went.  I have no  idea what the temp is supposed to be for it to start to open but fully open at 20° below the recommended to me explains the trouble I have had.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted - the old thermostat shouldn't be that far out.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
Glad you got it sorted - the old thermostat shouldn't be that far out.

I typed up wrongly but couldn't edit the post. I meant to say the old stat opened at 62° and was fully open from then and wide open at 71° hence the 20°.  Having the new one should make a big difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pinin & Jnr technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: