Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Problems after using 4Lo centre diff locked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj_cheesy

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:47    Post subject: Problems after using 4Lo centre diff locked Reply with quote

Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to help me here.  The other day I was using my truck (2.8tdi, swb, manual, mk2 Pajero) to pull roots out of the ground.  Not so conventional, but worked a treat.  I engaged 4Lo and centre diff lock automatically engaged.  Everything seemed to be working as it should.

However, I reverted back to 4Hi immediately after this requirement and since then I've had the following problems / issues:

* Cornering seems more laboured than usual
* All four tyres are warm after a moderate drive
* Seems to be a noticeable jault / lurch when transferring from first to reverse and back again
* Diesel consumption is noticeably higher than normal.

Does this point to either the centre differential lock stuck in (no rear diff lock on my truck), 4 wheel drive being permanently engaged, problem with transfer box or differentials.  If so, what is the most likely culprit and how would I test to prove this.

So far, I've had the rear of the vehicle up and the rear wheels spin independently of each other, reasonably smoothly.  One thing I did notice and someone will probably be able to explain.  I always thought that when spinning a wheel, the other wheel on the other side of the differential should spin the opposite direction.  On my truck, when spinning the rear wheel, it's opposite catches up but spinning the same direction.  Is this right on a 4 wheel drive?

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Alex.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:31    Post subject: Re: Problems after using 4Lo centre diff locked Reply with quote

aj_cheesy wrote:
On my truck, when spinning the rear wheel, it's opposite catches up but spinning the same direction.  Is this right on a 4 wheel drive?

That is normal for a Pajero with a Limited Slip Differential on he rear axle which may Pajeros have instead of a locking rear diff.

As for your other problems - when you were using it in 4LLc were you on soft or solid ground?
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyboard playing up! - that should read "on the rear axle which many Pajeros have "
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 13:59    Post subject: Re: Problems after using 4Lo centre diff locked Reply with quote

aj_cheesy wrote:

I've had the following problems / issues:

* Cornering seems more laboured than usual
* All four tyres are warm after a moderate drive
* Seems to be a noticeable jault / lurch when transferring from first to reverse and back again
* Diesel consumption is noticeably higher than normal.

All of these symptoms point to transmission wind-up. It sounds to me like the centre differential lock and front axle freewheel mechanism haven't properly disengaged.

What are the 4WD and diff lock lights telling you?

Best thing to do is to either drive on soft ground and see if it will release, or jack up both end of the vehicle and allow the wheels to spin to release the torque that's built up in the drivetrain.  You may need to move the transfer box lever back and forth to give it the best chance.
aj_cheesy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Peteinchad

Learn something new every day.  Didn't realise that these vehicles had limited slip differentials.  Makes sense now that the wheels would turn in the same direction.

As for when I was using 4LLc, it was half on tarmac, half on soft ground.  I took it out of 4LLc every time I manoeuvred the vehicle as I understand the tyres would be fighting each other in any direction other than a straight line.  Do you have any thoughts on what might be up?

Thanks, Alex.
aj_cheesy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon, thank you for the response.

The lights are all saying disengaged and in 2Hi, so no clues there.

If I jacked up and secured all 4 corners, how would I tell if these items had not disengaged?  would the rear wheels turn when the front wheels were spun?  When the front wheels should be completely free spinning with no impact upon the rear wheels?

Thanks, Alex.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, as the 4WD and CDL lights are normally good indicators of what's happening. Very unusual that they should show disengagement if it's not happening.

If you were to jack up one wheel each end and rotate a wheel with the gearbox in N, if 4WD is still engaged then I think a wheel at the opposite end will turn.  I've never tried it, to be honest.  If you jack up all four then the drive will follow the line of least resistance and probably just spin other other wheel on the same axle.

If the front axle freewheel hasn't disengaged and both front wheels are in the air, rotating one will probably rotate the other. If it has disengaged, then rotating one wheel should rotate neither the opposite wheel nor the prop shaft.

If you can jack up all four wheels and engage drive, you will see for sure what's happening. However it might well have released the wind-up when you do this.

The trick with these vehicles is to move in and out of 4WD and low ratio regularly to keep the mechanism free.
scoots

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

put it into 2wd and reverse at a steady pace for say 100 yards or so and see f that helps...it can help unwind the transmission
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj_cheesy wrote:
I  took it out of 4LLc every time I manoeuvred the vehicle as I understand the tyres would be fighting each other in any direction other than a straight line.  Do you have any thoughts on what might be up?

Even in a straight line you would get wind-up on a solid surface with the centre differential locked.

As others have said it sounds like you have wound up the transmission - so you need to jack all four wheels off the ground to release the wind-up.

It does sound like the centre diff hasn't disengaged - but as Simon says, the light is a (usually) reliable indication of it disengaging. I assume your light is working, with no blown bulb.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you switch back from 4Llc straight to 2H?

If so you have confused the system as you have to switch one position at a time and let that position engage before switching to the next position.
NJV6

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mechanical- can't be confused. Mine goes from 2H to 4LLc in one movement with no trouble.

Did the original poster get this sorted?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: