Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

EGR, resistor, trickery

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 22:59    Post subject: EGR, resistor, trickery Reply with quote

I have been quiet on here as it's winter i have my indoor hobbies for the wet play routine.

anyway during my hermit time i have been doing some research on some of the mods on my list and which one i would like to take on next.

the EGR has me stumped, can't blank it without drilling holes and not getting rid of the problem completely. I really want to strip the manifold down and clean it all but i would like to solve the problem in the first place. i will also be looking at a catch can in the future.

another option is to buy a SPV module but they don't seem to want to send me one from Aus to UK. another option is a remap with the EGR electronically removed this is ok but very permanent if it had to go in for any work in mitsi it would be flagged up for sure, so what's left.

well i have read that there is a way to trick the EGR into thinking it's too cold to open, but putting a resistor in the wiring in the air temp sensor in the air box. all this does is tell the ECU it below 10'c and it keeps the EGR closed (so i have read). the resistor is next to nothing to buy and easy job can be rigged on a switch so can be turned off if need be.

here is the issue all the facts and figures are from an australian site where their temps are generally higher. even though these have been tested in down to -10 i'm wondering if anyone has done this on here. I know a few people have done this in the uk on the site i was reading this info from.

anyway i have also ordered a OBD2 reader and got the torque pro app so will see what my EGR is up to in normal running then i'll give this a go and report back. if anyone has any info let me know.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 22:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done something very similar on my Mercedes E320CDI. I've disabled the EGR and tricked the MAF into thinking the EGR is still working. It's worked perfectly. Not original thinking on my behalf, but from a Merc forum.  Thought it might be useful for you to know of this method of doing it.
AquilaEagle

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about one of these?

Item number 172237311947 on eBay
medicman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I got in touch with tony@spvindustries in oz and he quoted me $166 aud for the SPV module that's about £88 by PayPal
NJV6

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from tony at spv, that price sounds about right, it's so simple to fit, takes 15 seconds to fit and totally reverseable. He will ship overseas.
We are a lot colder than oz and it still works fine for us here.

It is considered the best mod you can do for a gen 4. I did it then cleaned out the inlet manifold, there are a heap of pics in my thread on 'the big paj'
Bigned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fitted the resistor into the black/blue wire from the maf sensor, used a 4.7 k ohm. Been looking at the Aussie forums and no issues reported. I don't have a scan tool so will clean the egr the take a look at it in a month for crud build up, fingers crossed 🙈
Bigned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, removed the egr for inspection and its clean, covered in crud on the exhaust side but clean inside to the inlet manifold. The resistor mod works and the shogun is a far better drive with no egr, have also fitted a catch can which is also stopping the oily gunk getting to the inlet. Next job to remove the inlet manifold and clean the ---- out  Very Happy  Very Happy

Last edited by Bigned on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:18; edited 2 times in total
radiomike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back with the results, it would seem that others are selling a simple resistor and claiming it is far more complicated to justify the huge price.  I assume you simply cut into the MAF loom soldered the resistor then shrink wrapped and retaped??

There is one available here at a sensible price if you need to make it removable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-REMOVAL-KIT-BLANKING-PLATES-MITSUBISHI-SHOGUN-Pajero-2-5L-3-2L-4d56-Only-/172407514033?hash=item282449e3b1:g:qlgAAOSwSclXLkSQ
Bigned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's right, cut into the MAF loom  but I used bullet connectors just in case i ever needed to remove it, taped back up and all hidden from view. The next question is do i remove it
for the MOT emissions check??.
radiomike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

EGR is there to limit the formation of nitrous oxides which are not part of the MOT diesel test, it is only a simple smoke test.
medicman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You could always buy one of these,  eBay number 172407514033,  £29.99 same as Aussie Tony's SPV mod but British company

I've txt them and after sending pics of my air box and engine was told it would work on my diesel 3.2

Hope this helps
Dmcmylor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigned wrote:
Just fitted the resistor into the black/blue wire from the maf sensor, used a 4.7 k ohm. Been looking at the Aussie forums and no issues reported. I don't have a scan tool so will clean the egr the take a look at it in a month for crud build up, fingers crossed 🙈

Would this be the resistor used http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/metal-film-06w-47k-ohm-resistor-m4k7
Bigned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resistor I fitted works, you can get the bits for a couple of pounds and its removable. I wasn't sure if it would cause problems with emissions, thanks radiomike for the info, I will leave it in for its test. The eBay item looks nice but costs a lot more, it only took me 10mins to fit my mod, I would recommend fitting a catch can as I have just looked in mine after 2000miles and it has some oily watery gunk in the bottom
Bigned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dmcmlyor that's the resistor, I soldered some thicker wire to it as they are quite small then crimped on bullet connectors
Dmcmylor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigned wrote:
Yes Dmcmlyor that's the resistor, I soldered some thicker wire to it as they are quite small then crimped on bullet connectors

A 9p bargain mod, now thats what I like  Very Happy

Thanks Bigned  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: