Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Edinburgh or surrounding area garage/mechanic anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Garages / Mechanics / Servicing Agents
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arcascomp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:45    Post subject: Edinburgh or surrounding area garage/mechanic anyone? Reply with quote

Hi,

I know I need the fuel tank dropped from the challanger and the in tank filter cleaning/renewing/removing, had a look at doing it myself but worried that I'll sheer the bolts holding the tank in. Plus I also just don't really have the spare time to do the job myself.

Anyone got a recommendation for a mechanic in the area that you'd trust with a Mitzy?

Cheers.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello bud,

Done this a few times myself, really not a difficult job - but I understand if you don't have the time
arcascomp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did look into it a couple of weekends ago, but while the makority of the underside of my truck is in good nick, the studs that the tank retaining bolts are on have rusted a bit and I'm worried I'll either sheer them off or, as likely, knacker the stud threads making the tank insecure going back on.

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take to do?
vijay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

soak them with wd40 or a better penetrating oil beforehand. I reckon to get the tank out including draining it was about an hour. I used a trolley jack and a piece of wood to support/drop the tank and the reverse when putting it back. Doing it that way you can lower it slightly which allows you to get to the pipe clips for the 2 fuel lines and the filler neck
arcascomp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might need to invest in a trolley jack then!
vijay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather shear a bolt and sort it out myself than trust a garage who would probably never replace the bolt anyway if it sheared
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you soak them every day for a week with PlusGas (much better than WD40) and then turn them clockwise a tiny bit before turning anticlockwise then they often come loose. After you have got them to move then keep turning them a tiny bit clockwise then anticlockwise and that should break the rust off the threads.

If you break any then just drill out the broken bit and run a tap through the hole to rethread them.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:

If you break any then just drill out the broken bit and run a tap through the hole to rethread them.

+1  
All you need is a centre punch; and power drill; a few decent sharp HSS twist drills; and a tap of the appropriate thread and pitch.  An angle grinder can be useful too as it's much easier if you grind the remains of the bolt flush with the captive nut where it's stuck.  Start with a small drill and increase the size each pass. Don't press too hard on the drill - if it's sharp it will cut in easily. A squirt of cutting oil keeps the drill cool and sharp.  If you centre the drill properly, more often than not the remains of the bolt comes out as you enlarge the hole.  Then run a tap through just to clean the thread.  Put lots of grease on the new bolt going in and you'll never have the same problem again.

If it goes wrong and you enlarge the hole too much, it's easy to put a thread inset (aka helicoil) in.

I'd never done any of this kind of thing before I got my Challenger.  Once you've done a couple they won't hold any fear.   And as Vijay says you will have the satisfaction of knowing you've done the job properly rather than paying for a garage to bodge it.
Alsmoo

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,

I haven't used them with my sport, as I only just got it, but with the issues I'm having I may have to take it to them...

Diesel Jocks,  out here in west Lothian are good. or when I used them on a C3 they were good.  The locking nut had broke and my tyre guy didn't have an angle grinder./.  he sent me down the road to them, and wow, good honest service, and they had an old defender up on one of their lifts. There was a L200 parked in the guys drive way and one of the guys drove away in a sliver grey shogun, you know the one with a taller bulker look, after 2010 model anyway....,,

People always recommend them to me, and I known there good, just always busy.  

They are in Blackburn, west Lothian. Maybe abit far if your in Edin,,or the other side for that matter..... if your in the town, I had good experiences with one place over on causewayside, in Newington, but that was for a small 02 clio, they were honest and well priced. Not much help though sorry.... ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Garages / Mechanics / Servicing Agents All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: