2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Loosening crank bolt on an automatic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The procrastinator

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 18:31    Post subject: Loosening crank bolt on an automatic Reply with quote

If you're trying to undo the crankshaft bolt on an automatic, would putting it in park and holding the brakes lock the engine? Or is it down to whipping out the starter motor and 'jamming' something in there?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 18:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to ask your self does the engine run when its in park? If yes it's not going to stop the engine turning Very Happy

Lots of people jam something in the ring gear by removing the half moon flywheel cover under the vehicle.
The procrastinator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark3 wrote:
You need to ask your self does the engine run when its in park? If yes it's not going to stop the engine turning Very Happy

Lots of people jam something in the ring gear by removing the half moon flywheel cover under the vehicle.

Hi Mark, I don't appear to have an inspection plate
KEVINBUK

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talkng about the bolt that holds the bottom pulley? If so I used the starter motor method ( oo-err missus Laughing ) i.e. Get a breaker bar and secure a 6 point socket on the crankshaft bolt head resting the breaker bar on the chassis rail. Put key in ignition and crank the engine momentarily on and off ( DO NOT start the engine  Shocked )

You should find that has loosened the bolt.

Its tightening the bloody thing thats more difficult.

If you are not talking about that bolt then dont bother reading this  Laughing

K  Wink
The procrastinator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEVINBUK wrote:
Are you talkng about the bolt that holds the bottom pulley? If so I used the starter motor method ( oo-err missus Laughing ) i.e. Get a breaker bar and secure a 6 point socket on the crankshaft bolt head resting the breaker bar on the chassis rail. Put key in ignition and crank the engine momentarily on and off ( DO NOT start the engine  Shocked )

You should find that has loosened the bolt.

Its tightening the bloody thing thats more difficult.

If you are not talking about that bolt then dont bother reading this  Laughing

K  Wink

Yeah it 'is' that bolt but on a Vauxhall! I reckon I could get it undone, but its torqueing it up afterwards correctly that's the issue. 95ftlbs is not a huge amount but measuring 30 degrees and 15 degrees using the starter motor method would be a challenge! Laughing  I keep hearing about cordless impact wrenches, but I'm guessing I'd need something substantial and it might be cheaper to let someone fit it for me than have to spend a few hundred on a 'tool'
KEVINBUK

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! I wondered why you had posted this in the other vehicles section - Duh!

I would imagine the starter motor method should still work to loosen it but Sorry I have no idea how to lock the engine on a vauxhall, no doubt theres an owners club to ask?

Good luck anyway

K  Wink
hutchy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a vauxhall,s just use a windy gun or cordless torque gun it whips them out dead quick.....just remember to buy a new bolt as they are a stretch bolt...... Exclamation
The procrastinator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchy wrote:
on a vauxhall,s just use a windy gun or cordless torque gun it whips them out dead quick.....just remember to buy a new bolt as they are a stretch bolt...... Exclamation

Yeah but what about the tightening sequence? Although it appears that most guys "gun them up" and hope for the best Laughing
hutchy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

most vauxhall crank pulley,s have grooves in them,i use a long flat bar that has 2 holes in one end where i can fit bolts through,then i lock the pulley with the bar so i can torque them up,i don,t know which model you are working on,but failing that remove the starter motor and lock it using the flywheel ring gear.....the method Kev was talkng about is good for shogun,s pajero,s but i would not recommend it on some cars as the crank bolts are no way as good as mitsubishi the vauxhall ones are a lot thinner and seem to be made from cheese,which is why i do not gun any bolt up other than a wheel nut.....hand tight with a ratchet then a proper torque wrench for me... Wink
The procrastinator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchy wrote:
most vauxhall crank pulley,s have grooves in them,i use a long flat bar that has 2 holes in one end where i can fit bolts through,then i lock the pulley with the bar so i can torque them up,i don,t know which model you are working on,but failing that remove the starter motor and lock it using the flywheel ring gear.....the method Kev was talkng about is good for shogun,s pajero,s but i would not recommend it on some cars as the crank bolts are no way as good as mitsubishi the vauxhall ones are a lot thinner and seem to be made from cheese,which is why i do not gun any bolt up other than a wheel nut.....hand tight with a ratchet then a proper torque wrench for me... Wink

I've been asking around on the various vauxhall  forums and surprisingly nobody has an answer. Everyone's done a cambelt on a manual, but as far as auto's are concerned I suspect that those that do this job regularly don't want to admit how they do it Laughing
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it difficult to remove the starter motor and jam the starter ring on the flywheel with a chisel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: