Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Duga Duga noise when accelerating/below 50Mph

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Simon
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 20:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Glent54321

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
Get someone to pull/push the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock and look for movement at the ball on the track rod end.

Not sure on the Sport but there are two more track rod ends on the inner end of the track rod - so four in total to check.

Ball joints are a bit more difficult as you will need to put a pry bar in a suitable position to try and lift the top and bottom ball joints and see if there is any movement in them.

Remember - I am assuming that the Sport has a similar setup to the standard Pajero.

Done some googling and looked on the car. Not able to check the track rods but I can see them. When you say theres for in total, im guessing you mean that theres 2 parts to each one with a connecting piece in the middle??

I couldnt see any splits in the rubbers but, as mentioned, I didnt have another set of hands to wiggle while I watched! Will have to wait till tuesday.

Now.....I need to order parts.... ive got space on a ramp to do other bits on the car next thursday (15th) and want to get this problem solved then! Ive found wheel bearings and track rod sets.

In your opinion, with the symptoms described (noise, play left to right but not up or down) would you say its more likely the tie rods than the wheel bearings??
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glent54321 wrote:

In your opinion, with the symptoms described (noise, play left to right but not up or down) would you say its more likely the tie rods than the wheel bearings??

I will be interested in Pete's comments, but I can't see how (or why) the track rods would produce the noise that you've described earlier.
Glent54321

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
Glent54321 wrote:

I will be interested in Pete's comments, but I can't see how (or why) the track rods would produce the noise that you've described earlier.

I wish I could get a video/sound slip of the noise for you. The best I can do is describe it.

Its a duga duga noise at the same speed as the car I.e the faster I go the faster the noise. Then at 50mph it stops! Sounds like a deep thuding, like a flat tyre/loose panel underneath flapping.

I gave the track rods a wiggle and there was no play or movement. Also checked the rubbers for rips etc, nothing visible.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:

It may not sort out the noise problem - but if there is play in the steering then it needs sorting. And maybe the sound will also go away.

Another thought - I wonder if it is a tyre problem. It maybe worth swapping wheels around to different axles to see if the noise changes or goes away.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:

Another thought - I wonder if it is a tyre problem. It maybe worth swapping wheels around to different axles to see if the noise changes or goes away.

I once had a strange noise and vibration from a tyre. A fitter had left a tyre lever inside it.  Rolling Eyes
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it in the past - a fault in the sidewall of a tyre.
Glent54321

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I've had it in the past - a fault in the sidewall of a tyre.

Hmmm..interesting, the tyres look virtually new (only had the car 4 weeks) so I may swap the tyres round and see if that helps.

Im going to try and get out today and have a proper look. Although its -2 atm so im not planning to be there long.....
Glent54321

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been out, took front wheels off and had a pull and push on each side....not a single bit if movement, tie rods and ball joint all look good, no rips, tears or dodgy movement.

What I did find, on the passenger side where it sounded like the noise was coming from most, was a rubber sheet that hangs between the wheel arch and engine bay. It was only secured by the top studs/poppers, all of the lower clips have corroded and it was hanging free to flap around! Ive cable tied it back in place and im hoping this is what the noise was that I could hear! The flapping rubber sheet as I sped up, then above 50 is was either drowned out or got to a point where it was just pinned in place by the wind speed.

Ill let you know once ive taken it out for a drive....
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a likely candidate. I replaced the broken n/s flaps on my Challenger a couple of months ago with two that I cut from rubber sheet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: