Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

ATF related questions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the days when schools taught useful stuff like woodwork and metalwork?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 20:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

BennTheHuman

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Update!!!

After running around like a madman trying to get from one side of Lincoln to the other in rush hour (2-3x longer journeys thanks to the amazing traffic management Rolling Eyes ) to hit eurocarparts up for a new plug before it closed I have some good news... some bad news too, but it's positive on the whole

I have my old plug out! I jacked up the rear as high as I could so as little fluid would come out, then pried it with a flat head screwdriver whilst turning the ratchet and it came out. Shoved some PTFE around it and put it back in - wouldn't seal AT ALL and fluid was still pissing out... fearing the worst I got it back out and thankfully its the PLUG that's been stripped of its thread! Once all the fluid had drained I put my little finger in the drain to feel the threads and they appear intact!

The bad news - the plug from ECP was WAAAAAY too big, I think it's for the engine oil sump, not the A/T one.

So here I am. The sump drain is plugged up with a bucked underneath to capture any drops. The new fluid is in my oil drain tray (which I conveniently thoroughly cleaned earlier today so is uncontaminated!), covered and in the safety of my garage, and tomorrow I will start my quest to find a drain plug that actually fits!

My plan is to fit it, then use the 3.5L of new ATF I didn't use today first, followed by the stuff I drained out this evening if I need a top up. So far I'm only £2.79, for a useless plug and PTFE tape, down. I have just flushed my ATF for a third time in 4 days though, so silver linings!

I seriously wish I had had ANY sort of mechanical, metal working or wood working education in school. I left 10 years ago and the most I learned was how to make a decent mitre joint with some pine...
BennTheHuman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripped plug (left) next to ECP replacement plug (right)

closer shot of the stripped plug

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just check that the threads are not just clogged up with metal from the threads from the hole.

Use a screwdriver to pick out the metal from the threads. It looks a different colour to the bolt.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a search to see if I could find the thread size for you, but only found posts where others had also stripped the threads on the gearbox sump.  At least you're not alone in having done this!  

Auto Box Drain Plug

Auto gearbox sump removal 2.8 LWB

If Pete reckons you could drill/tap it without risking swarf in the box, then I'm certain that a helicoil-type thread repair is the solution.   I repaired an oil inlet on my cylinder head with one, and it's not only dead easy to do, but it's worked perfectly and provided a stronger thread than before.

This kind of thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Helicoil-Thread-Repair-Inserts-Spare-Kit-M5-M6-M8-M10-M12-M14-0-825mm-1-75mm-/281938550348

Do you have any means of measuring the thread on that sump plug once the threads are cleaned up?  You need both the diameter and the pitch.
BennTheHuman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
I had a search to see if I could find the thread size for you, but only found posts where others had also stripped the threads on the gearbox sump.  At least you're not alone in having done this!  

Auto Box Drain Plug

Auto gearbox sump removal 2.8 LWB

If Pete reckons you could drill/tap it without risking swarf in the box, then I'm certain that a helicoil-type thread repair is the solution.   I repaired an oil inlet on my cylinder head with one, and it's not only dead easy to do, but it's worked perfectly and provided a stronger thread than before.

This kind of thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Helicoil-Thread-Repair-Inserts-Spare-Kit-M5-M6-M8-M10-M12-M14-0-825mm-1-75mm-/281938550348

Do you have any means of measuring the thread on that sump plug once the threads are cleaned up?  You need both the diameter and the pitch.

I don't, but I have a solution. Millners are just over an hour away so I'll remove the sump, take it with me to derby, buy a new plug and filter/gasket set from them, then armed with the plug dimensions I'm sure I'll be able to find a 1 size helicoil kit. Plus the sump will be off so no swarf!
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

BennTheHuman wrote:

I don't, but I have a solution. Millners are just over an hour away so I'll remove the sump, take it with me to derby, buy a new plug and filter/gasket set from them, then armed with the plug dimensions I'm sure I'll be able to find a 1 size helicoil kit. Plus the sump will be off so no swarf!

Sure you can't get a plug from a local hydraulic hose supplier or similar?  I am pretty sure it's an M14x1.5, but if you take the old one with you they should be able to measure it.  Don't forget that you should fit a new copper washer too.

There's no gasket on the sump pan, instead RTV (silcone sealant) is used. Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Permatex-81180-Automatic-Transmission-RTV-Gasket-Maker-85g-3oz-/282120751370
You may be able to find something similar locally and avoid the postage cost for the Permatex product.

The sealant needs to be applied in a specific way, and it's extremely important that the sump bolts are torqued correctly.  The case of the gearbox is alloy, and you don't want to strip those threads as well.  Wink

Let me know if you need the info from the workshop manual.
BennTheHuman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Simon,

I decided not to remove the sump as it looked like too much work (I know... so lazy), but if I do, the torque values are in my Haynes manual

I ended up getting the plug from milners and it is actually an M10. Tried to install it but it was going the same way as the previous one so I stopped. Time to order a helicoil kit... just measuring the thread pitch and hopefully it'll be back on the road tomorrow!
BennTheHuman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
Possibly, but if the tap is coated in tallow or thick grease then it should catch most of it and the magnets in the sump should catch the rest.

Will red rubber grease work?
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kit I linked to doesn't go as small as M10 so is useless.

How are you intending to do the repair?

Red rubber grease will work - it's not the best lubricant for cutting threads but the hole is not very deep so you don't need to worry about wear on the tap. All the grease is for is to catch the bits of metal and provide a bit of lubrication.
BennTheHuman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to have to be done from under the car on my drive. On axle stands and then grease up the drill bit and tap to catch as much swarf as possible. I've gone for this instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001V8GI56/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an aerosol cutting oil, as it's easier to apply.  

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+%26+Sprays/sd2795/Cutting+%26+Drilling+Cooling+Lubricant/p75018

But for just one drill/tap you could use pretty much anything, such as ordinary 3in1 oil.  You'll get a new drill with the helicoil kit, so you shouldn't have any problems drilling.    The trick with the tap, if you haven't done it before, is to get it started and then just cut a little bit of thread at a time. Wind back a little each time to allow the swarf to clear.   Take it slowly!   The swarf should all fall down, so it's only the very last bit of the drill/tap process that presents a risk.
BennTheHuman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
I use an aerosol cutting oil, as it's easier to apply.  

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+%26+Sprays/sd2795/Cutting+%26+Drilling+Cooling+Lubricant/p75018

But for just one drill/tap you could use pretty much anything, such as ordinary 3in1 oil.  You'll get a new drill with the helicoil kit, so you shouldn't have any problems drilling.    The trick with the tap, if you haven't done it before, is to get it started and then just cut a little bit of thread at a time. Wind back a little each time to allow the swarf to clear.   Take it slowly!   The swarf should all fall down, so it's only the very last bit of the drill/tap process that presents a risk.

Thanks again Simon. I'll make sure to take my time. The kit does indeed come with a drill bit, but I was going to grease that too to catch the drilled metal (don't want that in the sump, even with magnets!). As always, I'll post up once it's done with the next self induced problem I need to fix  Embarassed
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

BennTheHuman wrote:
I've gone for this instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001V8GI56/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

That's a bit posh! - I use the nearest pot of slippy stuff in my shed.
BennTheHuman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like to think if I'm going to do it at all, I'll do it right...

The reality is that I do it wrong, mess up, buy expensive stuff to compensate for messing up and eventually end up marginally better off than I was before Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: