Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2010 LWB new owner shogun question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beyondhelp00

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:44    Post subject: 2010 LWB new owner shogun question. Reply with quote

Just picked up a 2010 Diamond Shogun, which is now my 4th Shogun. Its a Diamond spec and I just have a few questions as I have no owners manual with it.

1, It has no locking diff. I use my Shogun in the mud/snow/and to tow my boat in the summer and basically a load of other things where only a proper 4x4 will really do the job. My current 2002 LWB has locking rear diff, and I'm slightly worried by how much this may impact me without it being there. Does it have any kind of LSD? Is it worth (or even possible) to swap my diff over from my 2002 model, and retro fit the electronics? I noticed that there does appear to be wiring where the diff lock switch is. I know on my 2002 model things like traction control were just plug and play, but I dont know what the case is here.

2, I appear to have a non DPF version. Its a March 2010 model, any idea if this is a 170,180,190,200PS/BHP (!!!) model? Is there anyway to confirm or tell?

3, I have a strange problem with its MMCS, oddly the left channels have no audio (I was aware of this before purchasing) but even more oddly, if I put a 'hall' effect, I DO get the effect noise, but not the main audio on the L channels. Ever heard of this? I'm considering the kenwood headunit upgrade anyway - has anyone here done this?

4, Can anyone recommend any good Mud/Stone tyres for 20inch rims?! I have 2 year old General MT2s at the moment they are ok, but even then there has been times I thought I could do with something more 'grippy' in the mud. I'm willing to accept however that I may have to get a set of smaller (18s) with more tyre choice- I do like the bigger brakes on this one!!

5, Tuning boxes. I build petrol race engines for a living - and map them. But diesel is not my area. Has anyone had this model ECUTEK'ed ? How did you get on?

Probably enough for now. Smile Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Dmcmylor

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Wouldn't have thought the diffs would be compatible to swap over but will stand to be corrected. The wiring will be there as it will be a standard loom. The locker and compressor may not be there. I did an off road experience with mitsy a few weeks ago in a mk4 and they are extremely capable just in 4Llc. Mk4's should be in 4H for towing.

2. I think 2010> went up to 197bhp

3. Is it as simple as the balance is set to the right? Might not be for your mmcs version but the basics are there mmcs linky

4. M/S is mud/snow. I've just fitted Cooper weathermaster wsc m/s to mine and can't fault them at all as yet. They are a winter biased tyre.

5. Lots of discussion on here about tuning. I understand it as tuning boxes i.e. plug and go ones just trick the ecu in to delivering more fuel so more power, whereas the proper have it chipped method is the ecu is reprogrammed. Boxes can be unplugged, remapping cant. Have a search, top left, and a good read on this subject.
radiomike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk4s have traction control which brakes a spinning wheel, it works well up to a point but can result in overheated brakes if used in anger.

The locking diff from an early mk3 should fit but you would have to find one with a 3.692:1 ratio but sorting the control system could be a challenge.

2010 models have 197bhp and an open flow DPF on autos only.  No problems with re-gens.

The Kenwood unit as fitted to the swb models is a downgrade from the MMCS to save money not an upgrade.  Nav is good (Garmin) but it is over complicated and not particularly user friendly.

18" wheels will fit over the large brakes, try and find some mk3 Warrior 8.5x18s as the standard 7.5" wheels are overtyred with 265s, the 20s are 8.5" with 265s which is about right.
beyondhelp00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful replies thanks.

So there are different diff ratios then. My 02' wont be the same presumably? how can I even check without pulling it apart? Control system wouldn't be a problem. It's kind of what I do.

This was the kenwood radio I'm thinking of, Is this the one you refer to as a downgrade?: http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/mitsubishi/DNX4230DAB/?view= It appears much more up-to-date With bluetooth and dab, USB etc , and seemingly compatible with all aspects of the rockford fosgate system... (including rear camera). Whilst I'm at it, any idea where the amplifier is for the stock MMCS this unit?

My Mk3 is an Animal and has the 18s already. I'll just keep those, and get another set for that before I sell it on.

Interesting re traction control. I do hate those drive aids so that will be bypassed with a switch following the guide I've seen on here already.
beyondhelp00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok went and looked at some headunits today. Was also told that the kenwood units are um "troublesome" and that pioneer do much better ones that still work with all the features of the car.

Going to start a new thread on a few running issues I'm having...
beyondhelp00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to find the amplifier unit today (apparently its under the passenger seat... well took the seat out and it wasn't..) will keep looking...
NJV6

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother swapping diffs unless you really going difficult places, the standard traction control is really good.

The diff ratio is on he plaque under the bonnet.

There are loads of ecu tuning parts for the Pajero. Common rail engines are easy to tune and get great results, the 3.2 is a bombproof engine, Australia have heaps of options, have a google of Pajero chip and you'll see. There are also plenty of tuners which will do the re map and are able to disable the egr etc. Your 2010 should not have a DPF and will be 147kw or just shy of 200hp.
beyondhelp00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I launch and recover a boat on some pretty tricky places, I'll give it a go with the current system. I'm perhaps unreasonably worried by the fact it doesn't have a locking diff as all my other shoguns have, and I've yet to experience the newer system ... Smile
Mike terra

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried launching with your Mk 4 yet? How did it perform. I agree with you all the electronic wheel slip control are garbage compares to diff lockers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: