Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Prices on the up??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bago

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:18    Post subject: Prices on the up?? Reply with quote

Hello lads,

Have you seen the prices of tidy Pajero's recently?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISHI-PAJERO-2-8-SWB-XR-2-/232204109879?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I've seen a few sell at this sort of level now, and the MK1's, well, even more!  Looking hopeful for classic status one day !  

I notice this one is one of the rarer EDC engine models.  The only experience I've had of one is that a friend of mine had one briefly last year, but got rid of it cos at idle the revs kept going up/down on their own and it belched out black smoke when you floored it.  Wouldn't of put me off, I'd have enjoyed getting to the root of the issue, but he is one of those folks who is scared to spend money on anything!  So, he sold it!  Amazingly, he's now brought my attention to this one.  I've told him he might be better off getting an earlier one like mine as it doesn't seem to suffer with gremlins like the electrical ones seem to.  Anyone else have an opinion on the EDC power and reliability compared to the mechanical version?

I'm sure with a little tweaking, it wouldn't be that hard to beef the mechanical pump version to the 140bhp 314 nM Torque to match the EDC version?

I remember reading somewhere about spacing the waste gate with washers somewhere for a power gain?  Or am I going mad?  

Plus turning the fuel up etc etc.  I would wager that the mechanical version is possibly more tuneable than the EDC?  Although I would imagine the EDC could be chipped.

Your thoughts...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

2.25diesel

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices of Land Cruisers and Nissan Patrols are even higher.

I wonder what the growing anti-diesel push by the government will mean for us in the long term. I believe that from 2020 any diesel made before 2012 will be banned from London. Other cities may soon follow.

The current London Low Emission Zone only affects pre-2001 commercial vehicles. Pajeros are not currently affected as they are classed as private cars, but that could change. I believe other cities are planning to bring in these laws which may get more restrictive with time.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 20:05    Post subject: Re: Prices on the up?? Reply with quote

Bago wrote:
I remember reading somewhere about spacing the waste gate with washers somewhere for a power gain?  Or am I going mad?  

Was it this thread that you were thinking of?  Your guide to the more power Pajero hour!
Bago

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>  SimonW  -  Thats the one Simon, yes, thank you!!  An excellent write up that!  

>>  2.25 Diesel  -  It does seem strange that prices are going up, yet, government dictates that we should be against diesel trucks!  I wouldn't worry too much though, if you love your truck enough, you'll always find a way of keeping it on the road.  They'll be ways round it, always is!!  

I was amazed actually, how low the emissions were on my truck at MOT.  MOT inspector said thats better than a lot of three year old trucks!  I put it down to brand new injectors and a freshly rebuilt diesel pump and new filter from DTM in Bristol.
2.25diesel

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bago"]
>>  2.25 Diesel  -  It does seem strange that prices are going up, yet, government dictates that we should be against diesel trucks!  I wouldn't worry too much though, if you love your truck enough, you'll always find a way of keeping it on the road.  They'll be ways round it, always is!!  
[/quote]

I know of someone owns a classic diesel commercial vehicle. They bought it into the London area fora charity event and got caught by the low emission zone. They were mistaken as to what the ban applied to and were fined £200.

I think they will start pushing harder to get the older diesels off the road. They might say that you can keep on the road it if you fit a £1500 DPF unit.

By new filter I assume you mean the fuel filter?
Bago

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, fuel filter!!  Not a DPC!!

Historic vehicles (diesel included) are exempt from the LEZ, I would check this if I were you!!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.25diesel wrote:

I think they will start pushing harder to get the older diesels off the road. They might say that you can keep on the road it if you fit a £1500 DPF unit.

They will do the same as they did with seat belts etc - just let the older stuff die a natural death.
Bago

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I reckon that too Pete, they won't 'Ban' anything.  Then, eventually, the only ones left on the road will be owned by the likes of us, who, maintain and enjoy working on our classic trucks.  Most folk, can't be bothered with maintaining vehicles, they're just concerned with convenience and cost, which is why, even though it pains me to say it, the electric vehicle revolution will almost certainly happen...  Battery packs, i'm not so sure, but the electric drive train is most certainly, with out doubt, the mainstream future.  I though, will never conform to this!!!  My other vehicles include a v6 Triton L200 and a '67 Pontiac, so it's not to difficult to work out where i'm coming from!

On another tack, did you know that Tesla's new P100DL model S has recently been beaten in a drag race by a mid '90's Honda Civic (far from stock obviously!)??  Plus a tuned Dodge Hellcat and a Nissan Z car beat it also!  Go Internal combustion!!!!!!  It's all on You Tube!!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may make it expensive for us to drive in city centres due to extra charges for pollution - but that won't affect me much as I avoid shopping in the city like the plague!

When you add in the cost of making an electric car, and changing the battery packs every few years - and the pollution caused by making the electricity in the power stations then there really isn't much difference in running one of them compared with an internal combustion engine.
Bago

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Pete.  Although you can charge them via solar, which is 'free' once you've covered the cost of the panels obviously.

A friend of mine has had his Tesla P90D for just over a year now, and he is already noticing it's holding less charge than before.  To be fair, they warned him about constantly charging it on the fast chargers, as he'll wear the batteries out quicker, but as he's up and down to the south of France for work all the time, he needs to, plus it's totally free for gen 1 model S owners.  Saying that, he paid nearly 90K for the car, so god knows how many years that'll take to break even!  Plus, once you get over the cars 'party trick' which he more than has, it becomes a very boring vehicle indeed!!  As do all electric vehicles.  He bought his secretary a Nissan Leaf, that thing is dire!  But she loves it as she only commutes about 5 miles a day, and has zero interest in cars.

I think there will be a mixture of all types of drivetrain for a longtime yet!  

Plus, let us not forget, the classic car industry is a multi million pound industry, a lot of that is based in and around central London, so they need to be careful who they ostracise as it will cost the industry, and the country, millions in lost revenue if they ban older vehicles from the area completely!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that one manufacturer sold the electric cars and then you had to rent the batteries - can't remember which one it was.

Not only will the batteries wear out ( Look at how  mobile phone batteries age) - but they seem very expensive, and I bet that they are not easy to change.

Hydrogen powered fuel cells would be better - but you still need to make the hydrogen, using electricity from power stations.

Solar charging would be a bit hit or miss in this country - I've hardly seen the sun here for a week!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: