Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Fitting roof rails to my Pajero Shortie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stutheitguy

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 18:50    Post subject: Fitting roof rails to my Pajero Shortie Reply with quote

So I decided it was about time to get the roof rails I managed to score from a bloke on the forum bolted up onto the Pajero.

They'd been sitting in my inventing garage for a couple of weeks or so waiting to be installed. I had been put off due to naff weather, but this past saturday was as glorious as a summers day of legend and I had no excuses.

I had done some previous prep work on the bars as when I got them they needed sanding and painting and extensive looking at, so I wasn't entirely un-prepared for this job.

So I had a length of cardboard, a drill, two drills (that looked about 'right'), a round file to work off the swarf, some transparent silicone sealant, some pliers, a pen, a brush and my mitts.

The hardest part of this job was getting the headlining out. I had to struggle with the damn thing for ages at some awkward angle to get it low enough so I could work under the roof and actually dog some bolts up, so first thing was to remove the rear seatbelt hangers, a butt load of plastic that was attached with those god awful plastic plug things that snap as soon as you apply any force to them. In the end I gave up trying to be gentle and just rived on till they came out.

Here's the back end of as I'm about to get the headlining down, the sharp eyed amongst us will notice that I've started this job before and never got it finished.

So now I'm ready to start making some holes! At first I thought I would use a cardboard template and mark the holes on the bar then mark them on the roof, seems sensible right? Measure twice cut once? Well of course that tactic didn't work, what I didn't realise until I got up there (fully observing health and safety regs and standing on a little bedside table propped beside the truck) that my template was useless, I hadn't taken into account that the roof sloped and the rails didn't slope (not at least until they were bolted down).

Grrr.

My template was bloody useless on two accounts. Firstly the holes were wrong and secondly I couldn't get my pen to fit through the hole due to the gutter I'd had to expose.

Oh Pajero from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at three, Ye damned whale!

So fearing a revolt by the workers I decided the best thing to do was to get a cup of tea and start drilling!

I drilled my first hole and the rest came pretty easy after that as I could just screw the bolts into the bars and then place the bars in the gutter and draw a circle around the end of the bolt. Using this method I got all the holes drilled for one side and using the flat palm of my hand I hammered the rail down snugly onto the roof level.

It was around about this time that I realised I'd manged to luck the alignment of the indentations in the roof that will allow you to do up the bolts from the inside, that was lucky, if the bolts were off too much then you couldn't get a socket onto the nut to dog it up, and you'd have to use a nasty slack adjustable spanner to do them up (not that I had that problem...                  *cough*).

It is important to keep a tidy work area, somewhere where tools can be safely stored when not in use.

Once I'd done one side of the truck I counted myself as a complete 'pro' at doing this and the second rail flew into place, although this one didn't quite mate up with the recesses on the inside of the truck so I had to use an adjustable spanner to make then fit right. Here you can see the quality job I did of sealing up around the holes with sealant, also, no I couldn't get the damn rear view mirror off as someone has chewed the heads on the screws and the *beep* wouldn't shift no matter how much I swore and tried different headed screwdrivers.

Thankfully the headlining would flop down far enough to allow me to work on things.

So here we see the final product, I have to say these things are solid as a rock, I'm very pleased how well they fitted considering how they were attached, now I have a base for mounting all sorts of pointless accessories to weigh me down even more!

I'm still really sore from using muscles I don't normally use laying on my back in the truck trying to get bolts onto nuts upside down and from a funny angle... But at least those damn rails are on now! yay !  Laughing

Thanks for looking!

Stu
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 18:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Stu thumbleft glad i am not the only one things go wrong for(all the ruddy time) Laughing Nice one Wink now whats next and what pointless  accessories  are you going to use them for Laughing  Laughing
Stutheitguy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mate I'm hoping those snorkels hold out till payday, I really want one!!

As for the rails I need one of those little short stubby trays, more as a point to mount lights / cb antenna etc onto than for extra carrying capacity.

Damn MOT is looming though so next jobs will have to be fixing the handbrake cable(s) and replacing the windscreen.

Thanks for looking mate, and yes any job undertaken is usually a catalogue of comical errors  Wink
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always enjoy looking stu Laughing  Wink keep up the good work mate Wink as for cb etc thats on my list too Laughing,the list never ends Laughing have you not got windscreen cover on ins as wont effect no claims and will save a fair bit too.
Stutheitguy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

venn105 wrote:
I always enjoy looking stu Laughing  Wink keep up the good work mate Wink as for cb etc thats on my list too Laughing,the list never ends Laughing have you not got windscreen cover on ins as wont effect no claims and will save a fair bit too.

Aye I need to mount the CB antenna on something less nickable than a mag mount...

I cheaped out on the paj insurance policy and only went 3rd party so that option isn't open unless I bump it up to fully comp, claim then let it lapse and go 3rd party again. Probably by the time I get through all of that hastle and bother I might as well have just bought a new screen.  Laughing

I'll keep you posted, I have some other jobs to do coming up such as curing my rusty chassis, should be good for a giggle...  Wink
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stutheitguy wrote:
venn105 wrote:

Aye I need to mount the CB antenna on something less nickable than a mag mount...

I cheaped out on the paj insurance policy and only went 3rd party so that option isn't open unless I bump it up to fully comp, claim then let it lapse and go 3rd party again. Probably by the time I get through all of that hastle and bother I might as well have just bought a new screen.  Laughing

I'll keep you posted, I have some other jobs to do coming up such as curing my rusty chassis, should be good for a giggle...  Wink

Mag mount Stu you can mount when required so not left on.I at time foung 3rd part/fully comp not much in it but all changed now so dont really know,well till June Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil but always gone FC.Might get one from breakers or on here,then just pay to fit as sure you will not get much change from 3-400 quid Shocked  Shocked As for chassis,good rub down in areas and use that recommended rust retardant stuff with inhibitors in then coat in hammerite Laughing Have a look at rust post for ideas.
charlieannear
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work fella.  Cool
I need to get out and fit mine too.
I missed this weekend's weather window as I was building a fort in the garden for my boys... Sacifices eh?!  Rolling Eyes  Very Happy
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieannear wrote:
Good work fella.  Cool
I need to get out and fit mine too.
I missed this weekend's weather window as I was building a fort in the garden for my boys... Sacifices eh?!  Rolling Eyes  Very Happy

Fort Shocked surpose its different than a dungeon Shocked  Laughing  Wink
Stutheitguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venn mate I'll be looking into these rust threads and getting the knowledge then attacking that chassis.. snarl etc  Wink

(people keep on telling me to just coat it in diesel - in the past I've used waxoil from a spraycan / tin)

Charlie - admit it fella that fort is for yourself  Wink  Laughing
G_MC
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stutheitguy wrote:
venn105 wrote:

Check the bay of e for a tidy little mount that attaches to the spare wheel mount for your cb.  Wink
redneck

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second hand roof rails finally arrived (bank holiday post  Rolling Eyes ) so I fitted them today  Very Happy  this post helped a lot, cheers  Wink
sova71

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

With these hands, all done? You're doing fine!!
sova71

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

With these hands, all done? You're doing fine!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: