Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Boost gauge fitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dpcunningham

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 21:00    Post subject: Boost gauge fitting Reply with quote

I'm currently in the process of fitting a Boost gauge on my 2.8 pajero
Just not sure if there is a difference between petrol and diesel gauges
Also do I connect to waste gate pipe
Any replies or information is much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 21:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 21:40    Post subject: Re: Boost gauge fitting Reply with quote

Dpcunningham wrote:
I'm currently in the process of fitting a Boost gauge on my 2.8 pajero
Just not sure if there is a difference between petrol and diesel gauges
Also do I connect to waste gate pipe
Any replies or information is much appreciated
Thanks in advance

Turbo boost is turbo boost so there is no difference. You need to connect to the manifold somehow whether a new tapping or an existing tube into the manifold. I haven't fitted one to mine but it is straightforward I believe. Turbo boost should be measured in the intake manifold and not at the waste gate.
Dpcunningham

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 21:50    Post subject: Boost gauge fitting Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply  roadrunner!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boost gauge is connected here

I certainly didn't drill my manifold.

Remove the intercooler and you will see a metal pipe going round the front of the rocker cover. There is a rubber pipe attached to the end of the metal pipe (I changed mine to braided pipe) - put a Tee into that rubber pipe and connect the boost gauge to that.

Petrol gauges have the zero half way round the scale because petrol engines produce a vacuum. I used a petrol gauge - it still works as long as the positive side reads above 1.5 bar as the maximum boost on these engines is about 0.9 bar.
Dpcunningham

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:28    Post subject: Boost gauge fitting Reply with quote

Thanks Pete
For the advice and picture great help
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:34    Post subject: Re: Boost gauge fitting Reply with quote

Roadrunner2110 wrote:

Turbo boost is turbo boost so there is no difference. You need to connect to the manifold somehow whether a new tapping or an existing tube into the manifold. I haven't fitted one to mine but it is straightforward I believe. Turbo boost should be measured in the intake manifold and not at the waste gate.

Roadrunner 2110 is correct in that ideally you want to know what the boost is as close to the inlet valves as possible. But personally I'd be concerned about swarf getting into the inlet manifold if you have to drill and tap it. I wouldn't do that without removing the manifold, and I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Putting a T in the pressure line as per Pete's suggestion will give you a reading that's perfectly adequate for the purpose. It's also the way that most people have done it, so it's better for comparison.
Dpcunningham

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:50    Post subject: Boost gauge fitting Reply with quote

Yep think Pete,S way is better also he,S running the car so
Obviously it works that way
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:53    Post subject: Re: Boost gauge fitting Reply with quote

Dpcunningham wrote:
Yep think Pete,S way is better also he,S running the car so
Obviously it works that way

thumbleft
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 13:54    Post subject: Re: Boost gauge fitting Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
Roadrunner2110 wrote:

Roadrunner 2110 is correct in that ideally you want to know what the boost is as close to the inlet valves as possible. But personally I'd be concerned about swarf getting into the inlet manifold if you have to drill and tap it. I wouldn't do that without removing the manifold, and I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Putting a T in the pressure line as per Pete's suggestion will give you a reading that's perfectly adequate for the purpose. It's also the way that most people have done it, so it's better for comparison.

You are right Simon, but at present my engine is out of the truck and the head and manifolds are off so I can put a metric tapping into the manifold safely for the future but I wouldn't fit a boost gauge at present as it isn't probably necessary and can check boost easily for set up with a 2 bar gauge and tube after I fit the new CHRA core hybrid turbo.
Dpcunningham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 17:30    Post subject: Boost gauge fitting Reply with quote

Pete when you fitted your boost gauge did you use any of the
Pipe supplied with boost gauge
Cheers
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pipe with mine was a hard plastic - so I pushed it into the braided rubber pipe and used a small jubilee clip to hold it.
Dpcunningham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 20:33    Post subject: Boost gauge fitting Reply with quote

Pete can you remember what size the braided hose was you used
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

4mm inside diameter iirc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: