eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

3.2 did buying advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SgtZippy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:22    Post subject: 3.2 did buying advice? Reply with quote

Hello all!
I've been a member here a while now, sold my best car ever (2.8 lwb pajero) as we commuted too much for the old girl, now I'm back in the market for one again! This time it'll be for family short runs, dump runs, work, & camping.
So I've decided on a 3.2 mk3 this time & im looking at one on Monday, now my question is, what the most important things to look out for?
Looks like it has a years MoT, new tyres, cam follower thingy done recently, no mention of history, 140K & it's a UK car.

Any tips? Questions that should be asked?
Appreciate it!
Jim.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

mof000

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check fuel filler pipes for corrosion, Make sure it drives ok when engine is hot and that it starts ok from hot. Drive it to see if gear change is smooth if auto.
Try out the 4 wheel drive also. There should be no orange flashing dif light on.
I'm sure others will chime in!
mof000

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post......
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's just clicked 140k this weekend, so here's my two peneth....

Get underneath! Look at how bad the rust is. The metal that hold the running boards up on mine is now none existent, there's just the arms from the chassis left...  Embarassed

Also, the camber on the rear wheels, how bad is it? A little I'm living with, if a lot....  Arrow

ABS and the 'reluctor' rings and sensors...

Check dash light comes on - goes off - and stays off! The reluctor rings on the ends of the drive shafts, if they look like 'blunted teeth', expect problems...

Wheel bearings... Have a damn good listen for them.

Prop shaft, a drone at a certain constant speed (around 60mph?), I think is a sign of wear...

ATF, check the colour, should be a nice red.

Air con should work, including in the rear if fitted there. Condenser fan should come on in front of engine, as they can sieze...

Check the rear heating too while around there too, the system can either have a blocked heater matrix, or the system has been blanked off.

That'll all I can think of ATM.....  Embarassed
Pajero James

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point you made about a drone noise on worn propshaft. I changed out a rear diff there and still some noise is there. How is making the noise do you think?
SgtZippy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all guys, some valuable tips I'll pass onto my mechanic/mate who's coming with me!
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pajero James wrote:
Interesting point you made about a drone noise on worn propshaft. I changed out a rear diff there and still some noise is there. How is making the noise do you think?

The advice I was given (from here), was to get hold of the prop at the gearbox end and feel for play / wear laterally to the prop - try and move the prop up, down, side to side etc.

The joint at the gearbox end isn't your usual spider joint / UJ, it's called something else...

And I can't remember the name of it as I'm typing this!!!!!!  Embarassed   Embarassed  Embarassed
Badullahma

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a mk4 with some buttons function issues. Check if all buttons do what they should do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: