Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Different wheel sizes and tyres

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rifleman

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 21:54    Post subject: Different wheel sizes and tyres Reply with quote

Hi peeps.
I have a 2005 sport with the standard 18 inch alloys fitted.
I am looking to fit smaller wheels so that they can be fitted with higher tyres with chunkier treads.
I liked the ones I had fitted to my Frontera as they looked good and lasted for yonks.
Can anyone who has already done this give me a clue as to what to fit that will keep the radius the same, so the speedo stays the same?
I am looking to fit something like Enduro ATs as the tyres I have fitted at the moment are terrible on the rear for grip.
I also want them to look good, as I don't like low profiles, for looks or for when the weather here in Scotland gets bad.
Much appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 21:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 22:41    Post subject: Re: Different wheel sizes and tyres Reply with quote

My Challenger has 15" rims that I've recently fitted with 31x10.50 R15 Nexen AT2 tyres.  It was on 267/70 R15 previously.

I am really pleased with the Nexen ATIIs, but am very wary of recommending tyres as what one person likes another can hate.  For me, the Nexens ATIIs give just the right compromise between off-road grip and road manners.

This is what the tread is like:

And what they look like on the vehicle. Note that I have fitted 32mm spacers to bring the wheels out a bit. Otherwise the track is much narrower than your Sport on 18" rims.
Rifleman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the same size as was fitted to my Frontera, but not sure whether to fit 15 or 16s on the shogun.
Also where is the best place to find new wheels at a decent price?
hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe have a word with tyre companies that specialize in 4x4 wheels and tyres and tell them you want a smaller wheel but want to retain the same tyre height,likes of 4x4 tyres 4x4 AT etc maybe they can advise you better on what you need  Wink
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the wheel size is a matter of personal preference. Although generally the tyres will be more compliant if they have deeper sidewalls. So my choice would be for 15".

It's very easy to compare overall tyre size using this site:  https://tiresize.com/comparison/

A Google search will show plenty of steel wheel suppliers. Just make sure you know precisely what you need to buy - diameter, width, holes, and PCD.
hutchy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be fair your probably right there Simon as there is not a lot of choice in 16" wheels well certainly alloy ones,it took me a while to find some 16",s for my mk2 gdi as i wanted alloy the prices were stupid and the styles well there was not a lot of choice out there,as for 15" the world is full of them,but they don,t fit mine without messing around with the calipers and i did not want to do that as it,s not just me that drives it..and the same can be said for tyres there seems to be a vast amount for 15" tyres but 16" seems as though your paying a boat load more and the choice is not as vast.....i got mine through 4x4 tyres and the guy,s i spoke to said it,s like a fashion thing everybody wants either big shiny bling wheels with tiny bit of tyre or are wanting off road performance with chunky tyres so manufactures aim towards what sells the most.. Exclamation
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
........ Just make sure you know precisely what you need to buy - diameter, width, holes, and PCD.

I should have also listed offset.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchy wrote:
to be fair your probably right there Simon as there is not a lot of choice in 16" wheels well certainly alloy ones,it took me a while to find some 16",s for my mk2 gdi as i wanted alloy the prices were stupid and the styles well there was not a lot of choice out there,as for 15" the world is full of them,but they don,t fit mine without messing around with the calipers and i did not want to do that as it,s not just me that drives it..and the same can be said for tyres there seems to be a vast amount for 15" tyres but 16" seems as though your paying a boat load more and the choice is not as vast.....i got mine through 4x4 tyres and the guy,s i spoke to said it,s like a fashion thing everybody wants either big shiny bling wheels with tiny bit of tyre or are wanting off road performance with chunky tyres so manufactures aim towards what sells the most.. Exclamation

I wouldn't mess about grinding a few mms off calipers either Hutchy. Just imagine what the insurers would say if an accident investigator noticed the grinder marks! Doesn't bear thinking about IMO.

The problem with steel wheels ( as reported by Peteinchad) seems to be that they rust. He's prepared to replace his when necessary, but that's not for me. So I have stuck with my standard alloys as they look 'right', even if they are a bit pitted with brake dust. I am going to have a go at cleaning them thoroughly soon, and if this doesn't work I will spray them. I am too tight to pay for powder coating for the Mitsi.

When I was looking for tyres I found a huge variance in prices. I found it easier first  to know exactly what I wanted, then hunt them down.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:

The problem with steel wheels ( as reported by Peteinchad) seems to be that they rust. He's prepared to replace his when necessary,

They hold water in the seam between the rim and the disc - I had some white ones on my LR Series 3 (spit spit!!) and they showed the rust in less than a year.

The black ones I have now are rusty in the seam, but TBH it doesn't show much and they are easily repainted but at £40 each it is not worth buying the paint.

The problem with my steel wheels came to light when I had them re-balanced after five years and found that the two rear ones are no longer round  Very Happy  - I've no idea why.
hutchy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

put a bead of silicone in the seem  Wink
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchy wrote:
put a bead of silicone in the seem  Wink

Yep - I intend to on the new ones but I never got round to it on the ones I've got now.
Rifleman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting these ones. The website says they will fit.
Does anyone know for sure?
I want to go for all 5 if I decide to get them.

https://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/15-x-8-tuff-torque-modular-steel-black-et0_s158613900tgblmo?tyre=100AR898&chassis=8270
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rifleman wrote:
I'm thinking of getting these ones. The website says they will fit.
Does anyone know for sure?
I want to go for all 5 if I decide to get them.

https://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/15-x-8-tuff-torque-modular-steel-black-et0_s158613900tgblmo?tyre=100AR898&chassis=8270

235 75 is a bit small, I reckon. I had 265 70 before I went to 31".  Also those wheels have zero offset. I've put 32mm spacers on my Challenger, which make it look much better.  -32mm offset would give the same effect as it moves the hub mounting surface inwards.  Tyres and wheels are a big outlay, so you want to get it right.

A lot of forum members recommend Charles at JCS 4x4 Wheels and Tyres. Link here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/JCS-4x4-Wheels-and-Tyres  Might be worth giving him a call.
Rifleman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that simon. Appreciatd mate.
Rifleman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the offset on the 18" alloys on the car at the moment?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: