Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Newbie having Fueling troubles!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonny245

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 22:15    Post subject: Newbie having Fueling troubles!! Reply with quote

hi to all, im new here and having trouble with my pajero!
years ago I had a swb 2.5 Shogun that I used to go off-roading in, I abused the hell out of it but it never gave me any trouble and refused to stop working!
So recently I was looking for a reliable 4x4 to possibly do some towing with and do some gentle driving around salisbury plain with the mrs, I ended up buying a 1991 LWB 2.5 Manual Pajero.
its low mileage and in good order, even the air con works, my mrs drove it back home and all seemed well. Then I drove it for the first time and realized it was very low on power, no poke about 2500rpm at all. I gave it a basic service but struggled to prime the fuel filter, I ended up fitting a second hand filter holder/primer and all seemed ok.
then I drove it and after a few mins it died on me, I managed to get it home but had my foot to the floor all the time. There is no black smoke out the back even under hard acceleration so I think its sucking in air!
after a week away on holiday in a hire van. . . . . im now ready and calm enough to fix it!
there was a small leak under the filter when I got back, I think coming from the water sensor on the bottom of the filter, could this cause low power??
Is there another filter I can fit without a hole in it for the water sensor so I can eliminate the problem??
It seems seven second hand water sensors are not cheap so I thought about getting rid of it, has anyone done this before?

Any help or advice welcome!!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 22:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are reasonably certain it's the water trap that's causing the issue, here's a new one that's not too expensive:
NEW FUEL FILTER SENSOR WATER TRAP MITSUBISHI SHOGUN MKII 2.5/2.8 4D56/4M40 91-04   Mitzibitz are asking crazy prices for used ones.

A very common cause of air ingress into the fuel filter housing is failure to remove the redundant seal that's often fitted to the fuel filter.  If it's not removed, then the main o-ring won't seal properly and can allow air in. See pic below. The redundant seal and metal cage can be seen on the right.

Otherwise the standard advice on air ingress is to use clear hose or a clear inline-filter to observe the bubbles and work out where the leak is coming from.
jonny245

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah see that could be it, I didnt pay much attention to the filter itself so ill go and have a check.
Thanks very much for that info.
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is usually a  filter in the tank as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: