QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Hard suspension.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skipton rob

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 20:56    Post subject: Hard suspension. Reply with quote

I have had my 2000 MK2 SWB 3.0 24 valve Shogun for a few weeks now. She looks in fantastic condition having done just 60.000 miles. However i have just one concern.

The ride is incredibly hard , you can feel every tiny lump and bump in the road. Strangely it is nice and bouncy but the transmission of road noise and bumps is really bad. it was like it was running on solid rubber tyres. It does not have the adjustable shocks and never did as there is no suspension setting indicator on the instrument panal.

I checked the tyre pressures and found they were at 45 PSI. so i dropped it to 28PSI all round. This has made a big difference . But not solved the problem completly.

I,m fairly sure it has not had a body lift and everything is standard . I had the garage check it over when i had the cam belt changed and they said they could not see anything obvious except the springs look very corroded.

So i need to start looking at all the suspension bushings ect in an effort to track down the culprit. i have been told these trucks need a suspension rebuild at about 60,000 miles anyway.

Any ideas anyone.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 20:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

87GTA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its running 265/70/15 tyres according to the manual it should be 26psi front and 29psi rear or 26psi front 32psi rear fully laden. 45 is a bit extreme Shocked

try and get a few measurements of the suspension height from wheel centre or rim to arch, it may have had the torsion bars cranked up a bit to lift it. Also may have been fitted with LWB rear springs or spring spacers, I think the LWB springs are the same physical size as the SWB just stiffer.
skipton rob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked it today. its running standard size tyres (Brand New Maxxis bravo A/T). The distance from the centre of the hub to the wheel arch is 21.5" (520mm) so its not jacked up. Today i dropped the tyre pressures to 24PSI as an experiment and it is much better. I went down a very rutted farm track today and it was fine, the suspension worked fine with no bangs or rattles. The problem is when driving on tarmac roads when you would expect a smooth ride.
TTR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skiptonrob,

To be fair mine is roughly the same age as yours and the car does drive well, the tyres do need the correct pressures in them and it makes a  significant differance to the ride quailty.

Unless the rear springs are broken i would not replace them, although at £55.00 a pair they are not too expensive and relativley simple to do.

Have you had the shocks checked - assume your garage did this anyway as well as the ARB bushes.

The only reason i ask is i replaced my ARB bushes for a  slighlty different reason in that i felt the car "wallowed/swayed" more than it should in the corners hence swaped the rubber D bushes for polybushes.

On the tramac you do get alot of road feedback, more than i thought you would at times, but like you i can find nothing amiss.

Good luck in trying to iron it out though.
skipton rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TTR , thanks for the reply.
This is my first ever 4x4 and to be honest i have driven mercs and bmw for the past 20 years and so i may be expecting too much. I drive a 3 series all week and then jump in the shogun at the weekend so i suppose i should expect a big difference.

So far i have been unable to find anything wrong and neither has the garage and all the bushes look in good condition.

I think i will invest in a new set of shocks and springs. i am delighted how cheap bits are for the shogun so i dont mind chancing a few quid in the hope of smoothing things out.
M4nil

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 20:51    Post subject: DiD 3.2 hard suspension Reply with quote

Hi Skipton Rob,

I have just bought a 2005 3.2 DiD  and the suspension is terribly hard. I have read your posts and will check my shocks and bushes etc. but can you tell me please, did you replace all your springs and shocks and did it work? Sorry to bother you but it is so bad I am thinking of selling it and getting something else but I would rather keep it.

Kind Regards, M4nil
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MkII has just started doing the same - it feels every bump on the road after 6 years of being perfect.

This summer I have changed every steering joint and the shock absorbers - and the top and bottom ball joints. I also changed all the wishbone joints three years ago and nothing has made any difference.

I took mine to a tyre place and had all the steering geometry checked and the tyres balanced - still no difference.

I have come to the conclusion that it is my wheels/tyres as my tyres are 7 years old - still saving up nearly £1000 for new ones!
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience on the MK1; I run my Bridgestones on suburban tar roads at 1.8 bar all round, this does provide reasonable comfort. However the tyres are now 3 years old and I attribute what harshness I do have to age, the rubber just becoming hard.
NJV6

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gen 3 are harsh riding, end of story. Alot of it is due to the body construction and also alot of it is noise transferring through the body. Small imperfections in the road lead to transmission of noise. They are also very fussy with tyre pressures compared to some other vehicles.
The noise and harshness is a trade of for the high speed ride and handling that the gen 3 & 4 are renown for, they don't behave like a 2.5 ton vehicle on the road.
wales660

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed something interesting  with my pajero's bumpy ride like as if you can feel the slightest bump in the road.

Carried 2 passengers in the back which transformed the ride the pajero started soaking up the lump and bumps to give a super soft ride.

Was thinking that all thats changed is the ride height which the shock absorbers seemed to be optimised with the extra weight slightly lowering the pajero. Got me thinking to check what my ride height should be.

Thanks

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: