Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Chassis painting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rifleman

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 20:41    Post subject: Chassis painting Reply with quote

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to paint the chassis in order to preserve it. Also what is the best stuff to use?
Mine has just been in a garage to have the brakes done and was told that it is looking rather rough under there.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 20:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

por 15 is good but not good for your health,as you need to derust the thick *beep* then spray a degreaser on and then wash off followed by an acid then 2 coats of por 15 and a topcoat,but you need full ppe using the stuff as it will make you feel ill,well i did when i did my mates pajero chassis earlier in the year,took 2 months to do the full chassis with a few days break here and there Wink
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:49    Post subject: Re: Chassis painting Reply with quote

Rifleman wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to paint the chassis in order to preserve it. Also what is the best stuff to use?
Mine has just been in a garage to have the brakes done and was told that it is looking rather rough under there.

I use Dinitrol - see my post HERE
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to paint the chassis rather than apply a wax-based protective coating, like Hutchy I'd suggest POR15.   However I believe that one coat is sufficient. Areas that aren't subject to direct UV light don't require a top coat. So I think you can simply apply one coat.  I didn't have any adverse reaction to the fumes.

I've recently used POR15 on my Mercedes for components and where the original underseal had become loose.  I removed the loose material with a flap wheel on an angle grinder, degreased, rust treated, and then applied a coat of POR15.   One of the tricks is to have a good supply of waxed paper coffee cups; disposable brushes (Toolstation); and protective gloves.

Just to give you an idea these are 'before and after' pics of the fuel tank.

For a few days work, I've given my Merc several more years of life. Most of this model have long since decomposed, so I am keen to preserve it.

If you plan to paint the chassis on your Mitsi and would like some waxed paper cups, let me know via a PM with your address and I will post some to you. I had to buy a couple of hundred, so have a few spare.
hutchy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only put a top coat on just to add a bit extra protection from stone chips,didn,t go mad except on the rear arch area,s of the chassis...i found it gave me a headache and felt a bit dizzy but it could have been the fact i was up and down like a yo-yo as i had no ramp to put it on just really large chocks under the wheels plus believe it or not the weather was warm and sunny,rare weather event i think. Laughing the upside is when he washes his paj his chassis always looks clean and new Wink
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchy wrote:
i only put a top coat on just to add a bit extra protection from stone chips,didn,t go mad except on the rear arch area,s of the chassis...i found it gave me a headache and felt a bit dizzy but it could have been the fact i was up and down like a yo-yo as i had no ramp to put it on just really large chocks under the wheels plus believe it or not the weather was warm and sunny,rare weather event i think. Laughing the upside is when he washes his paj his chassis always looks clean and new Wink

I think it's a good idea to protect it Hutchy. What I did was to coat the POR15 with Waxoyl, including the top of the fuel tank before I refitted it.  Although this kind of work is pretty horrible when you're doing it, it's very satisfying to know that it's well protected from the elements and salt.

I was going to make a start on the underside of my Challenger today, but it's too humid. Well that's my excuse anyway.  Wink
hutchy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the problem over here the damn salt..i know when i did my mates swb he bought 5 ltr,s of marine de-greaser 5 ltr of the metal prep and the 6 shooter pack of por 15 and i think it was a 1ltr tin of top coat,i told him to get the top coat because i could see the angle of the sun shining onto the chassis rail on the rear arch area,s.and with the uv did not want it turning white,but then as i got into it i decided to topcoat the whole lot but i spent more time on the rear end of the paj than the front and middle...it,s the first time i used,the stuff i did mine with a few years ago with a product from rust.co.uk which is a 2k stuff thick and horrible and takes ages to dry,and to be honest not that good,how they say it has won awards i don,t know,because it has not held up that well,which is why i went over it with waxoyl....i,m just waiting to see how my mates por 15 holds up over this winter salt before i decide if i should do mine or not,I don,t fancy spending Ģ150 if it does not hold up Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: