Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

3.2 DiD Fuel Filler and Vent Pipes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neal22

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had mine done thankfully the plate didnt have to come out, bought the replacement from T.G Holdcroft and it fits like a glove.

Caught it just in time breather pipes completely rotted, main pipe just about to rust through.

Shogun's should come with a health warning. Sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

redfantasea

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Shogun has been fixed; new fuel filler pipe (neck) assembly. I bought the parts from  T.G.HOLDCROFT in Stoke-on-Trent and cannot praise them enough. For starters the delivery was about two weeks - Mitsi had the parts on Two Months back order; secondly, the parts cost me £206; Mitsi quoted me over £300; finally Holdcroft took my phone number and contacted me as soon as they knew the parts were coming in.  You can find the Holdcroft shop on Ebay or call them on 01782 264888. Spread the word...
BenKenobi

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two penneth - if any of these pipes are open to atmosphere ever I'd advise dropping the tank and cleaning it out  - water and crud anywhere in a system that has a fuel pump retailing at £3200 on the end of it isn't a risk I'd take, OK so you can get a pump cheaper - like £2000 from an independant or a secondhand unknown for £1000 .... for the sake of dropping the tank and cleaning every thing out - and it really isn't that hard to do - took me 30 minutes to get mine out.

Back of car up on ramps, 4 bolts and 3 or 4 nuts on captives, lower back of tank and remove pipes from top, lower the gearbox crossmember about 70mm to clear the front captive bolt, no need to remove undertray. Obviously make sure to drain as much as possible (12mm drain towards the centre) into a bucket, you can then filter it into clean jerry cans - because it's quite heavy and with diesel it will likely be too heavy for one person to handle.

You'd be surprised how much crud came out of mine - I took the advice of a member on here (geodrome) to do this and am glad I did.

One note that I can add is that the filler neck from the later 2006 onwards Shogun will fit and has one fewer breather pipe - on the later model the breathers are 'T'd on top of the tank - so less to worry about.

Worked out with the help of Andrew at T G Holdcrofts - now my supplier of choice - for now.
Scotspea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't these cars have a water trap at the base of the fuel filter like the LC? It even has a tap which can drain it if the water in fuel light comes on.
geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotspea wrote:
Don't these cars have a water trap at the base of the fuel filter like the LC? It even has a tap which can drain it if the water in fuel light comes on.

They all do, that's the theory!
But it wont get the water that is mixed/broken down in the diesel. The filter is really only meant to remove dirt particles. It would need a "Goretex" type membrane to remove moisture particles mixed with fuel.
redfantasea

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention; when they fitted the new pipes, the garage was going to drain the tank. They had a 30" wrench on the drain plug and couldn't move it so they decided to give up before they ripped the bottom out of the tank. Can you tell me whether there is access from above?  Is there a removable cover or, maybe, the gauge sender? If so, and if it can be got to from inside the vehicle, I would try to pump the bottom of the tank with a Pela Pump.
geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lwb there is plate under the rear seat on the drivers side. Might be same on SWB. It's access for pick up unit.
SgtZippy

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fantastic pro active maintenance advice here for new 3.2 owners! I'm getting mine checked asap, shouldn't this be a sticky?
njd02

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to jump on post but i have juat bought a shogun 54 plate and today noticed some cables were hangimg down from drivers side rear wheel arch. On further investigation i could see that the bracket holding them up had rusted and snapped but also saw another pipe which had completly corroded and snapped, i believe it is next to the fuel pipe that comes down and a friend said it may ne a "breather" well I have no idea and have booked it in with mechanic.
I have no idea how long it has been lile that. So my question is do i need to get it off road or is it ok to drive??
mof000

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me personally i'd park it up until it's sorted. It may be worse than you think? The last thing you'd want is to have to replace fuel pump which can be damaged due to corroded fuel filler pipes.
SgtZippy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my air con sorted today- by SubZero on here.
Lovely chap & all sorted- however while we where chatting shogun we peeked at the filler pipes.
Completely rotted!!
Looks like I'll be parking it up til I can get the parts then drain the tank- over 3/4 full of fuel too!! Gutted, I imagine that's goodbye to that fuel.
What's the best way to flush the tank/clean it?
SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive as normal until your fuel light comes on. (its probably been like that for months) Drain the last bit out,allow to settle, run through a coffee filter and chuck the very last bit away. Get the tank off,remove pick up pipes,clean up and paint tank, rinse inside of tank with clean diesel, replace fuel filler pipe and through the chassis pipes,replace fuel filter, prime filter and your good to go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: