Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Help with decision on at or mt tyres.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oopsidaisy

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 21:47    Post subject: Help with decision on at or mt tyres. Reply with quote

Hi guys and girls brand new on here so hi again to all. Now here's a post that crops up all the time I bet.....and I also bet you guys are sick of replying the same old. I've read and read and read all I can read but can't for the life of me decide what to get for my bus to wear.

It's only the shogun sport 2.5td. All I've done is fitted some stiffer rear spring and lifted it at the front on the torsion bars.

It's currently rolling on 18's and I'm going to keep them.

So the mileage I do is say 60/40 but if my tyres were up to it is be abit more adventurous. It doesn't go far on the road really just the odd trip to the beach.

Mainly used for shooting cutting round fields and stuff. The odd lane and running the dogs about.

Now my issue is I want to beef the appearance up aswell as the practicality.

So far it's either the Grabber at at2 or at3(unsure of this as the pattern looks tame)

Or in the mud tyres the Achilles desert hawk xmt or the kuhmo mt51.

Not bothered too much about road noise and only cover 5000 a year max.

There all similar prices but just can't decide which to go for.

Basically someone decided for me lol. I know everyone has different taste bit just wanted some constructive feedback.

Thanks in advance guys n gals.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 21:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Oopsidaisy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid me almost forgot....at sizes would be 255 60 18
And mt size 265 60 18 as I think that's the biggest I believe I can fit without any dramas
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're concerned about the appearance, I think that mud tyres on 18" rims will look very strange.  

Personally, I wouldn't fit mud tyres unless it was for 100% offroad use.  I wouldn't want either the noise or the handling characteristics.  I use 31" AT tyres on 15" rims and for me they are perfect. I was pleasantly surprised how good they are in mud and clay. Good road manners too.
Oopsidaisy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Simon cheers for the reply. I've a mate who's got some kingpin remoulds on his l200 the bfg mt pattern and it looks pretty decent, gives it a more aggressive edge there only 55s too.

So the next part of the question is, which is or most likely to be the best grabber at pattern for the off road bits?
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things are very much a matter of personal taste. By way of contrast to 55 profiles, this is what my Challenger (same bodyshell as your Sport) looks like on 31x10.5 15 ATs. That was in February I still haven't got all that damn clay off from underneath!  Rolling Eyes

This is the tread pattern on the Nexen AT2 tyres that I fitted. They are only £76.80 inc VAT from 4x4tyres.co.uk right now, and I think they are an absolute steal at that price.

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi simon. Some years back, on our way into Namibia, I drove through a white clay track with plenty of water holes, and pretty much covered the Paj as you have.  I couldn't wash the truck for around 6 weeks and the sections of white clay stains remain under the truck to this day, in spite of being pressure cleaned a number of times. The painted bodywork cleaned up but only with a number of attempts.

Not nice.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi simon. Some years back, on our way into Namibia, I drove through a white clay track with plenty of water holes, and pretty much covered the Paj as you have.  I couldn't wash the truck for around 6 weeks and the sections of white clay stains remain under the truck to this day, in spite of being pressure cleaned a number of times. The painted bodywork cleaned up but only with a number of attempts.

Not nice.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekker wrote:

Not nice.

Hi Dave
My neighbour's LR90 is even worse than my Mitsi after our day at the 'pay and play'. Every time it rains there's a fresh puddle of clay underneath it!  Laughing
Oopsidaisy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I think the grabbers on a 255 60 18 come in at around 30 inch so will fit no probs I just hope an at tyre doesn't look too piddly  Rolling Eyes
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 17:16    Post subject: Re: Help with decision on at or mt tyres. Reply with quote

Oopsidaisy wrote:
........I've read and read and read all I can read but can't for the life of me decide what to get for my bus to wear........

What did you opt for in the end?

I know that you wanted something chunky, so I located this:

Apparently it's a 325/85X16 AMAZZONIA 137J   http://www.gcp4x4.be/en/product/TR85/lerma-gomme-amazzonia
tuk95m

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, what size are the Nexen on your truck?
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuk95m wrote:
Simon, what size are the Nexen on your truck?

They are 31 x 10.5 x 15
tuk95m

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks.
They are still the same price on www4x4.co.uk but are waiting on more stock.
I have a set on after market alloy wheels but they are 30 - 9.5 - 15.
I'm after something to go on the standard rims and it's between the Nexen' s or Toyo open country's ???
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous generation of Nexen AT tyres were on my Challenger when it was given to me. They were terrible in the wet, in spite of having plenty of tread. So Nexens were bottom of my list - or actually not on it at all.  Then I read some good reviews of the new AT2, looked up the price and was amazed that they were only £71.40 a corner for 31". I've driven them in all sorts of conditions including mud, snow, ice, and torrential rain. They've taken us down to southern Portugal and back, and the tread looks as good as new. A very good all-purpose tyre, I reckon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: