Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Pressurising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
satans_creation

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:14    Post subject: Pressurising Reply with quote

I'm new to this site and to Pajeros, this is my first

Hi long story short my pajero go hot when the radiator split lost coolant stopped and recovered home

New radiator fitted but with the cap off coolant shoots out of radiator, with the cap on seems to be a lot of pressure air sqeaks from filler cap and coolant seeps out of expansion

There does not seem to be and mixing of oil etc in it. I thought air lock?

But when I was running it other day I got a lot of steam/grey smoke out of exhaust

Any help would be appreciated
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately for you, it's got the classic symptoms of cylinder head gasket failure. Almost certainly that will also mean that the cylinder head requires replacement.

What engine does it have?
satans_creation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 1994 Pajero 2.8 turbo diesel 5 door automatic

I had a feeling in my belly the head gasket was at fault, I have been told the head is prone to cracking if it overheats is this true

Thanx for reply
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true. It's almost unheard of for the head gasket to fail without the head being damaged. As it's alloy, it can't be repaired.

Fortunately it's not difficult to replace. It's worth considering replacing the water pump at the same time, and checking the operation of the viscous fan clutch also. The last thing you want is to replace the head just to have it go again.

If you're going to do it yourself, I can let you have a copy of the 4M40 2.8 engine workshop manual if you need it.
satans_creation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that would be fantastic

I will do it myself, how hard can it be haha

I have replaced the head on a couple of old vws

It's just knowing the Pajero timing etc
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private message sent with download link.

No need to touch the timing at all. The timing chain should be secured to the camshaft sprocket prior to being removed, then when it goes back on the timing will be exactly as it was.

When I did mine, I fitted new head bolts and various gaskets. There's lots of info on this forum about how to do the job, but just ask if you want any specific advice.
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is, the new heads are questionable and don't always last. Second hand genuine a gamble as to how long they may last. New genuine not economical (if you can even get one?).

I put Steel Seal in my mk3 3.2 as the rest of the vehicle is tatty and didn't warrant the work. £70 for 2 bottles. It has worked, and I was massively sceptical but decided to give it a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: