Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Can't start after repairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olderrol

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:34    Post subject: Can't start after repairs Reply with quote

Hi folks. I'm a new member and struggling with navigation through this very big forum so need a bit practice so please be patient with me.
I've just completed changing the rocker cover gaskets on my 2002 Pajero 3.5v6 along with a new timing belt and water pump. All went real well till I tried to start it for the first time. It cranked over just great, sputtered a few times then stopped. Well it never really got going. I tried again but it would not even try to start. This was all accompanied by a very strong petrol smell. I checked and rechecked the timing belt installation, all the electrical connections and etc but could not find anything wrongly installed. Gave up, came inside and did some googling to find that if flooded the old flat to the floor would fix it. Tried that the following day with exactly the same result.
I am not a mechanic, clearly, but have rebuilt quite a few engines over the years, incl motorbikes all carby type, and have never had this happen before. I have read quite a few of the posts and seen all sorts of things but nothing quite like what I'm experiencing. Can anyone help me? Please! I'm getting way too many splinters from too much head scratching.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a petrol Mitsi, so I hope that somebody who knows these engines will come along and help.

Have you found and read this post?  3.5 V6 Petrol 1998 SWB Will not start - URGENT
olderrol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 0:25    Post subject: 3.5V6 won't start Reply with quote

Thanks Simon much appreciated.

I have checked out the link you forwarded to me can see some real similarities to the issue I am having. I have tried disconnecting the battery but didn't leave it as long as overnight. Will certainly try that. I have also rechecked my cam timing, twice, and it's all good. Interesting that the crank positioning sensor is called into question because I took mine off, after my initial post, because it is the only electrical item that I could not see to check, after completing the repairs, and the only item that was disturbed in any way during the fitment of all the new parts. It all looked ok but I have a new one on the way just to make sure. I have not checked things like the injectors or compression yet because the engine, although having done 288000 kilometres with an oil leak from the rocker covers and in need of a new timing belt, was running beautifully. The compression actually feels very good when trying to turn the motor over using a spanner on the crank.
By the looks of brucemillar's efforts I have a long way to go. I'll be watching this space and if I get this thing going I'll certainly do a post to let everyone know what I did to sort it.

It was surely much easier to find an issue in the old days of distributors and carbys. Ah the good old days.

Cheers.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roll pins that locate the sensor flag plate to the cam belt sprocket often sheer leaving the sensor flags in the wrong place.
olderrol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:35    Post subject: Can't start after repairs Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Mark. As soon as I got your response went straight out to check since the harmonic balancer is off at the moment. I was hoping you were right and it would be simple to correct but every thing is in place and solid. Sad
Afraid there's no shortage of splinters from a lot of head scratching going on here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: