Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Shogun Sport Running Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fruitandveg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:04    Post subject: Shogun Sport Running Issues Reply with quote

Hi all,

I haven't done any proper problem solving yet or decided if I'm going to hand over to a garage yet - I just bought a Shogun Sport, left seller's house fine and drove fine.

5 miles down the road I put £20 diesel in as it was nearly empty, I get back in and start up, engine management light comes on and it's down on power. Turn it off and turn it back on, feels better but a bit juddery on occasion. Does same thing again about 7 miles later. While playing around I undid the battery and it cleared the code and light. I haven't got a code reader to hand unfortunately.

Drove it yesterday, started fine, idled fine drove it down the road and it's doing lots of little bunny hops, but as it warmed up it got less gripey. Got to a dual carriageway, got to 70 and then the light came on and it started powering down until it got to 60 then kicked in. Turned around about a mile later and it did the low power Thing, turn off and on again it seems ok ish, as I came back into 30mph of my village on light throttle it still seemed a bit gripey.

As I came home and turned engine off I realised I'd unplugged EGR valve control cable after the first journey, plugged it back in and it started ok and the management light went out...now I've taken the EGR valve off and it was well sooty so blanking panel ordered, but any other thought if that doesn't fix it? I'm wondering if the fuel is coincidental or a problem, I don't understand how it was fine then wasn't after filling up...any thought gratefully received! Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:52    Post subject: Re: Shogun Sport Running Issues Reply with quote

fruitandveg wrote:
I don't understand how it was fine then wasn't after filling up...any thought gratefully received! Thanks!

If the tank was very low on fuel then adding more fuel could have stirred up dirt from the bottom of the tank.

Check / change the fuel filter to see if that helps.
fruitandveg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then...

Fuel filter was pretty much full of water so drained that, reprimed and after a momentary grumble, drove down the road and a massive improvement. EGR valve also blanked off.

However, twice while going uphill the engine lost power to a crawl - the first time was crossing a small lane hump back bridge where I had to slow down then accelerate over the bridge... I had to turn the engine off and back on, just wouldn't rev at all. Second time, I was crawling up the hill lane to my house...I waited a moment, it grumbled a bit then revved freely again so I didn't need to turn the engine off...engine management light has also returned.

Any thoughts?
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had a lot of water in the fuel filter then I would check the fuel in the tank - you maybe have a lot of water in it which is getting sucked through to the engine and causing your running problems.

It might be worth draining the tank and looking at the fuel you get out of it.
fruitandveg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...is there a drain plug on the fuel tank?

Thanks for help, much appreciated.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruitandveg wrote:
Hmmm...is there a drain plug on the fuel tank?

Thanks for help, much appreciated.

Most fuel tanks have a drain plug on the bottom - whether it is possible to get it out is another matter!

This is the tank from a L200 which is similar to the Sport - it has a drain plug.

towball

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:52    Post subject: Shogun Sport Running Issues Reply with quote

Hi there,

Water can get into the tank through the filler pipe.

Check the cap is the correct on and sealing.

Check the metal filler pipe as these are known to fail and you cant see the failure as it's under a plastic cover.

Let us know how you get on.
fruitandveg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:42    Post subject: Re: Shogun Sport Running Issues Reply with quote

towball wrote:
Hi there,

Water can get into the tank through the filler pipe.

Check the cap is the correct on and sealing.

Check the metal filler pipe as these are known to fail and you cant see the failure as it's under a plastic cover.

Let us know how you get on.

This was all replaced about 6 months ago, I reckon it was some dodgy diesel either at the bottom of the tank or where I filled up, as I've put £30 in and the light went out... it's grumbling even less, it coughed once today and the light came on, restarted immediately and fine, got to destination about 5 mins later where I stopped for 5 mins and the light went out again...I also put a bit of wynns turbo cleaner in there, some say it helps...the place it was fixed when air was getting in took the tank out to sort the problem which was only 6 months ago has an excellent rep so I doubt they'd leave a scummy tank without even commenting on the invoice, so I'm just going to see how things pan out currently...

I'll update in due course...
Desy176

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a very long time I was looking for information on this topic. Thanks to all!
BB&T live person

Last edited by Desy176 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 23:42; edited 1 time in total
Rifleman

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, just read this thread.
You may well have picked up poor fuel from the station. Whether you did or not, you most certainly have either dirt of some sort, or water in the fuel tank / lines and filter.
I would have purchased some clean fuel in a jerry can, drained the tank and dumped the released fuel, refitted the drain plug, then refueled with the new fuel.
Then I would have replaced the fuel filter as this will probably be contaminated, even if you cannot see this.
For the price of a filter, its worth replacing it.
Regular engine servicing is a must with diesels because the slightest bit of contamination can cause problems with running.
I always replace oil and filters every 6000 miles whether it needs it or not.
As a long term mechanic, I am reminded of an old saying.
"If you look after your car, it will look after you". Proves to be true.
I personally never allow my fuel gauge to go much below a quarter full so that any sediment in the tank doesn't get sucked up.
Hope this helps you some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: