eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Mpg when towing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve28961

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:58    Post subject: Mpg when towing Reply with quote

Just towed with a2010 3.2 automatic shogun.
Previously I had a 3.2 manual and was getting 25 mpg but recently purchased a newer model and a journey to the lakes I found the computer said 15 mpg.
I was in four wheel drive and was using cruise control most of the way.
People said using four wheel drive did not make much difference in mpg so I was wondering why it is so low.
Any ideas or people who tow a caravan.
The caravan is the same as before a twin axle
Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

MARKS600K1
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve

You are advised to use 4wd when towing, have you confirmed the fuel computers accuracy ? I have a single axle max load of 1300Kg and on a trip to Cornwall managed 18mpg when towing fully loaded with 6 people, but I would struggle to get 30mpg with an empty car, norm for me would be 25mpg average.  But my 3.2 is a fair bit older and less powerful so while you may not slow down on the hills this will come at a price.  What is your solo mpg according to the computer ?, also speed will make a big difference.

Regards Mark
steve28961

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply. No I have not checked computer yet.
I bought the car in London and coming back to Scotland at 70mph with cruise control on it said 38 mpg it was not that far out because I got over 600 mile on a tank .its great solo it's just when towing .
I have been down to Dorset with the old car and it returned about 25 mpg but this is only about 15.
I must say I set cruise for 60 mph most of the way.
Suppose I'll just have to live with it
Testcard

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 18:26    Post subject: MPG Reply with quote

Hi Steve.
I have a  Shogun Sport 2.5 - We have towed our twin axle 1300kg caravan around the country - The car  generally gives 25 mpg - We just potter along on motorways etc 50mph - Any faster anf the mpg is noticeable. On solo minus the van = around 30+.
I start with a full tank then refill when journey is complete in order to calculate, hope this helps.
Alan.
Smile
scoobynutta

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I get around 15 when I'm not even towing! Shocked
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cruise will crucify the MPG when you hit a climb as it will attempt to maintain road speed regardless of MPG. Being a later 200bhp 3.2 I'm sure its got the power to do so, so you don't really notice it working hard.
Try the same journey next time using your right foot. Just by using the hills to gain speed on the way down and allow the speed to come down by 5 or 10mph on the way up a climb you should find much better MPG.
Rob Barker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom fenton wrote:
The cruise will crucify the MPG when you hit a climb as it will attempt to maintain road speed regardless of MPG. Being a later 200bhp 3.2 I'm sure its got the power to do so, so you don't really notice it working hard.

+1 And it doesn't even have to be a particularly noticeable incline either before it's dropped a gear and is pulling hard wasting fuel, definitely more economical using the right foot and you don't really get there any slower. I get around 400 miles from full when towing my Senator
davembp

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just returned from a 1450 mile tour around England with approx 1000 miles towing 1500kg @ 55 to 62mph and overall returned 18mpg
paji101

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep defo remain off the cruise control  when towing it cruiseifies the mpg
zakspeed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info about cruise aspect.
Currently towing a car and getting 20mpg on computer and working it back on calculator.

Will check if can do better using right foot. I doubt it tho......

I’d thought I’d get nearly 30 with this big beast and a little disappointed. New Nissan navaras getting 30 easy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: