Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Oil Spray All Over Engine Bay and a Disconnected Hose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RazzaPazza1994

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 15:41    Post subject: Oil Spray All Over Engine Bay and a Disconnected Hose? Reply with quote

Just driven my 99 3.0 GLS Shogun back from university to my Uni house about 2 miles  and found it had an oil leak. Upon opening the bonnet there was oil sprayed everywhere it looks like the radiator fan has flicked it all over the engine bay.

I found a pipe at the bottom left of the radiator (Looking at the car) which appears to have been disconnected but I'm not sure if it should have water or oil in it and I can't see where it should connect to.

Does anyone have any idea where all this oil has come from and where this pipe should be connected too I don't want to start the car to drive it to a garage until I'm sure it's safe.

The only extra bits of info that may help is I had a fluid warning level on the dash but I've had it since October straight after it's MOT (wasn't there before) and all the fluid levels were correct when I checked them. And I accelerated hard on the drive home to get past some cyclists who were to far apart to overtake smoothly and to close together to overtake in two steps.

Thanks

Some pictures to help
imgur . com/a/D3Xre
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 15:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a manual or automatic gearbox?
RazzaPazza1994

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a manual
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! - I was hoping it was an auto because I know there are two pipes from the autobox that go to the base of the radiator and the oil cooler.

I have no idea if the manual has the same setup but it might be worth checking to see if there are any pipes at the bottom of the radiator.
RazzaPazza1994

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

After checking under the car this morning there is a lot of oil around the gearbox and when putting the car in and out of gear there is like a swilling sound.

Thinking back to the drive to uni yesterday a couple of gear changes were grinding but I just thought I was driving impatiently.

Does anyone know if this sounds like a the likely culprit?

I checked the manual for that hose that was "disconnected" I think it's just a draining point for the radiator
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get an aerosol of engine degreaser - spray it on the bits covered with oil and then hose it off after a few minutes. It will be easier to find the leak if the area is clean.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - check the gearbox and engine oil levels to identify if it is the engine or gearbox that is leaking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: