2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Bleeding the cooling system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rifleman

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 23:52    Post subject: Bleeding the cooling system Reply with quote

Having been a mechanic since I was 16, (now 58) I have been amazed at the way people have difficulties in bleeding their cooling systems after work done or changing antifreeze.
Some really extreme tips come up now and again too.
In all my years, I have never ever had a problem bleeding a cooling system and have only ever used one method, after being shown this as an apprentice years ago. Even on modern vehicles, its a proven method.
Here is how I carry this out.

With an empty system, set the heater controls to windscreen, hot, and the fan to 1 or 2. (No faster or you will simply remove warm air and stop heating up}
Start the engine and allow to idle.
SLOWLY add the correct amount of antifreeze.  (Adding slowly stops air being trapped. )
Then SLOWLY add clean water until you reach the correct level.
Leave the cap OFF and allow the engine to reach its normal running temperature and the heater is blowing hot air onto the windscreen.
(You may need to top up as the level goes down when the thermostat opens) so keep an eye on this as if the level drops too much, you may allow air in.

DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO REV THE ENGINE OR YOU WILL CAUSE TRAPPED AIR

Once the heater is hot and the coolant in the expansion bottle is hot and at the correct level, replace the cap to seal the system.
Allow the engine to tick over for another 5 minutes or so to make sure there is no overheating or other problems occuring.
Job done.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 23:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Whatithas

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the coolant fluid has been leaking out of the system and into the engine compartment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: