Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2.8 auto, sticking in top gear after a few miles drive

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ash2.8

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

Just fitted the throttle position sensor from a breakers yard off a working truck... no change, still gets stuck in top gear.

I have a few questions for you....

1) As you slow down, what tells the gearbox to change down a gear? ie as you drop from say 50mph to 15mph, what tells the gearbox to change down? Is it the speedo, then the ecu to the gearbox?
2) What is the job of the throttle position sensor. The pump has a kick down cable on it, so what does the TPS even do?

It appears that when you drive the truck up the road when stone cold in the morning, overdrive works. The gearbox changes up into top gear. revs are around 2600rpm at approx 60mph, then i select overdrive and revs dropto 1900rpm ish.
Then as i continue and truck warms, it appears that it jumps out of overdrive and back into 3rd, where it now revs again at 25002600rpm doing 60mph.

At this point, the truck will not change down out of 3rd gear.

When the truck is still warm, i pull into a layby, select park and then back into D and its stuck in 3rd still.
So.... i then re select park, turn the truck off and back on again. Then i selsct D and away it does, changes up 1st, 2nd, 3rd... but this time overdrive does not work.

To conclude, my findings are when cold overdrive works. When warm, it does not.
Once the truck gets into 3rd, it will not change out of 3rd.
Unless of course driving it manually.

I disconnected the 2 prong temperature sensor on the top of the cylinder head (just under the interccoler), that gives a signal to the temp gauge on th dash, this had no change on things either.

Slowly running out of options now.

Any help? Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 17:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would change the gearbox ECU - they are quite cheap on eBay and easy to get at to change. At least it would rule it out.
Ash2.8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks. Do you have any answers to my 2 questions?

Cheers
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash2.8 wrote:

1) As you slow down, what tells the gearbox to change down a gear? ie as you drop from say 50mph to 15mph, what tells the gearbox to change down? Is it the speedo, then the ecu to the gearbox?

That is what I have always assumed - but I could be totally wrong. The gearbox has to know what speed the truck is going so that is why the speedo signal goes to the ECU (I think!)

As for the TPS - I have no idea! I know where mine is but have never had to touch it.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECUs on eBay seem to vary widely in price - the one with the same part number as my truck is about £20.

At that price it is worth changing it to rule it out as the source of your problem - if it makes no difference you can always stick it back on eBay.
Ash2.8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been having a look on ebay. They do vary in price and some are untested so it is a gamble.

Would an ecu cause it to stick in a top gear?

Im just scratching my head... what gets me is that the gearbox goes back into bottom gear after switching it off again.
So turning it off temporarily fixes it until it develops the same problem again lol

Also just tested continuity from the single spade coolant sensor on the head to the ecu plug and there is continuity.

Cheers
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash2.8 wrote:
Just been having a look on ebay. They do vary in price and some are untested so it is a gamble.

Would an ecu cause it to stick in a top gear?

The ECU controls the gearbox so I would assume it could

Ash2.8 wrote:
 turning it off temporarily fixes it until it develops the same problem again lol

Which is why I think it is electrical - when my laptop goes wrong I usually mend it by switching it off and on again

Ash2.8 wrote:
Also just tested continuity from the single spade coolant sensor on the head to the ecu plug and there is continuity.

That sensor just stops the gearbox going into O/D until the engine is up to temperature.

Like I said - I am no gearbox expert but there seems to be two choices, try another ECU or start looking at the gearbox - and the ECU is easier and cheaper.

I am having an odd problem with a choppy ride on my truck - all I could do was change bits until the problem went away. So now I have changed every steering joint, changed the shocks as well and the problem is still there - so I have narrowed the problem down to the wheels or tyres. I left the most expensive bits till last.
Ash2.8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the help.

Will keep you all updated.

Cheers
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bit info re the TPS..,

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70087&highlight=
Steve_C

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "stuck in 3rd", I assume you mean that you have 1st, 2nd and 3rd, but not top gear?

I had exactly this on my Sport, and it turned out to be a dodgy switch on the transfer box which was telling the ECU that low range was engaged, even though it wasn't.  If the ECU thinks low range is selected, it won't allow top gear to be selected.
eve.st

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tested  a2.5 auto  drove slow  and noisey would not kick down  ,but could use it manually i asked a few Qs from a few guys that run japs and they suggest selecter switch ormode switch  ecu g/box connection  or--diesel pump connection apperantly istsends and recieves from ecusounds odd but  ithought i,d thtow it in
dhammika

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like after some time, your two main shift solenoids are not functioning either due to loss of electrical signal or failure in solenoids.

Pajero V4AW3 Transmission is built by Aisin-warner and their model name is AW30-40, which is similar to 4x4 AW4 and Toyota A340E series

Looking at the literature, when both the solenoids are not functioning, gearbox selects the default gear based on the shifter position. When the shifter at "D" position, default gear is O/D.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJBT050_Ju3TUpIT1RVN0Zaa3c

So as Pete suggests, first check replacing the ECU
BILLYWHI33
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate i had the same problem on my 2.8 swb tried allsorts even gearbox ecu still no joy i ended up changing the gearbox. That worked!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: