Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Zexel Injector pumps

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike terra

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:05    Post subject: Zexel Injector pumps Reply with quote

Has anyone opened and serviced one of these ZEXEL injector pumps with electronic throttle, governor E.T.C.?

I had a failure of a pump due the the shutoff solenoid piston spring collapsing, the bits of the broken spring coil then got into the transfer pump and screwed that up the internal transfer pump.

Has anyone else on the forum had a 20 cent  spring cost them close to $2000.00 to replace the pump. I have now seen 2 pumps with identical failure I guess not the only ones? Mad  Mad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know much about them personally. I have heard that once dissasembled repaired and reassembled they have to be calibrated on a test rig, Only a couple of companies in the UK have the required equiptment to test and calibrate them. I've often wondered if this really necessary.
Mike terra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Yes this was my thought as well. Over some years I have carefully disassembled cleaned and re-built a number of the 2.8 pumps after disappointing results from the pump repair shops. I found a supplier of seal kits in Dubai and I have had to replace couple of rotor heads and primary pump blades. they have gone back and run sweetly. Sometimes I think the 'MUST BE CALIBRATED" is actually overstated.

Question  Question
VIKI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know there is no way to properly setup zexcel injection pump electronic fuel dosage system without BOSCH testing bench, 3.2 injection pump is way more complex than standard old school EDC pump (fitted to 2.8 44M40) and even on EDC injection pump calibration was recommended for proper performance on zexcel injection pump(fitted to 4M41) there is no way of which I heard so you can properly calibrated fuel /air /engine temp mixture etc.
brianman

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike terra wrote:
Steve,

Yes this was my thought as well. Over some years I have carefully disassembled cleaned and re-built a number of the 2.8 pumps after disappointing results from the pump repair shops. I found a supplier of seal kits in Dubai and I have had to replace couple of rotor heads and primary pump blades. they have gone back and run sweetly. Sometimes I think the 'MUST BE CALIBRATED" is actually overstated.

Question  Question
yes i here you calibrration can be seriously over stated indeed cheers lad also i put a number of pumps on 3.2 shoguns and they say they have to be the same pump cause they are chipped i put loads of second hand ones on and never had a problem just bolt on on ur timing marks and away u go take care Smile
Sausage machine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea but the conventional wisdom is no, but I may have an answer for you in a week or so when my injectors turn up. I bought a basket case 2005 Shogun cheap off ebay already partially dismantled and missing a couple of bits, got the error codes inc 46 and 48.

Having cleaned it externally then taken the GE actuator off and it's lid as well to inspect inside for swarf and or water or obvious mechanical failures, removed timing solenoid cover and plunger to check for damage, removed shut off valve and filter to clean and reassembled it all again as I didnt find anything obvious (except a small amount of swarf in the shut off valve filter and magnet and some very fine swarf in the fuel filter drainings) making sure the GE actuator body was positioned as near as damn it back where it came from, I tested it with fuel today on a bench and got 8 to 10 foot jets of fuel out of the fuel nozzles spinning it with my impact gun = probably not much more than idling speed. Not quite what I was expecting, will try that again with injectors on when they arrive and see what that looks like as I dont want it revving it's nuts off on 1st starts up.

I'm not spending £1500 rebuilding it even if i knew the truck needed nothing else doing (which I dont).
SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianman wrote:
Mike terra wrote:
Steve,

Question  Question
yes i here you calibrration can be seriously over stated indeed cheers lad also i put a number of pumps on 3.2 shoguns and they say they have to be the same pump cause they are chipped i put loads of second hand ones on and never had a problem just bolt on on ur timing marks and away u go take care Smile

Agreed, you can swap pumps between cars if they have the same part number (i think there are 2 types) but this is very different from disassembly, repair and reassembly.
nvanders

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodevening,

Kicking this old thread up

Can buy a very cheap 3.2 shogun in good state, except de pump, when i read, there many issues with this type of zexel vrz.

Second hand also expensive, question is, what is usual broken or wornout on these pumps?

And are the repair kits / spare parts so hard to find? ( as stated before paying 1500 euro,s for maybe a small part broken sounds a bit ... ? )

I, repaired several  pumps, and other very overpriced electronic equipment on cars, ( i,am electronic engineer so i have some skills )

Thanks
nvanders

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone ideas about this?, question still open
TxLDN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sausage machine wrote:
No idea but the conventional wisdom is no, but I may have an answer for you in a week or so when my injectors turn up. I bought a basket case 2005 Shogun cheap off ebay already partially dismantled and missing a couple of bits, got the error codes inc 46 and 48.

Having cleaned it externally then taken the GE actuator off and it's lid as well to inspect inside for swarf and or water or obvious mechanical failures, removed timing solenoid cover and plunger to check for damage, removed shut off valve and filter to clean and reassembled it all again as I didnt find anything obvious (except a small amount of swarf in the shut off valve filter and magnet and some very fine swarf in the fuel filter drainings) making sure the GE actuator body was positioned as near as damn it back where it came from, I tested it with fuel today on a bench and got 8 to 10 foot jets of fuel out of the fuel nozzles spinning it with my impact gun = probably not much more than idling speed. Not quite what I was expecting, will try that again with injectors on when they arrive and see what that looks like as I dont want it revving it's nuts off on 1st starts up.

I'm not spending £1500 rebuilding it even if i knew the truck needed nothing else doing (which I dont).

Am I reading this right - you fixed your pump by just cleaning it out? Good job if so and best of luck! The 1500 is crazy money for a part on a car like this...
MARKS600K1
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

The consensus is the fuel filler pipes rust and fall to bits behind the rear wheel, water and dirt then gets in the system which eventually gets to the pump.  I have a 2004 shogun with no issues the issues occur when the pump sees any water or dirt, moral of the story look after your filler pipes and check before you buy.

Regards Mark
nvanders

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it causes is pretty clear, also the fuelfilter and the waterseperator does not do the job as it is engineered for,

i have seen a lot of dieselengines with very dirty filters and a lot of water and dirt in the trap under the filter, but without any pumpfailure.

So the zexel vrz is very sensetive for this, but still the question? which part in the pump is usually broken?

And including labour and parts does this have to cost about 1500?
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARKS600K1 wrote:
Hello

The consensus is the fuel filler pipes rust and fall to bits behind the rear wheel, water and dirt then gets in the system which eventually gets to the pump.  I have a 2004 shogun with no issues the issues occur when the pump sees any water or dirt, moral of the story look after your filler pipes and check before you buy.

Regards Mark

Totally agree.
Mike terra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see the problem with mine was the pump cam shaft bushes failed. I tried three methods of re bushings all failed eventually the pump housing had to be replaced US$ 2000 plus plus and plus if cars were not so heavily taxed the answer was to bin a perfectly good car! Laughing  Laughing  Crying or Very sad  Laughing  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad
nvanders

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

So most failures are the bushings from the case ( pumphouse ) this piece of alu have to cost 1000 plus, pounds euros or dollars?

Cant this not be ordered at zexel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: