Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2011 G4 SWB: Sharp Bump Clunk (Rear LHS)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miner

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07    Post subject: 2011 G4 SWB: Sharp Bump Clunk (Rear LHS) Reply with quote

As above.... its on the driver's/off-side as my car is LHD GCC model.... any idea on which set of bushes / mounts is most likely to go first?

Mysteriously started (noticed it) a day or so after its intermediate service (20km interval (severe service here, its 5k for oil, 10k for oil+filter, 20k for intermediate and 40k for major)... could be entirely coincidental as it was at 140,000 km (approx 80k miles) where you may expect such wear and tear.

Any thoughts based on your experiences?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

NJV6

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the LHR wheel off and prise the centre cap off and check the 36mm nut under there is tight. Common problem for them to come loose and go clunk. Tighten to 200nm.
Miner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hub retaining nut? Sounds a bit worrying....

Got an electric impact gun (proper Dewalt brushless one) but not sure I’ve got a socket that size.... maybe, will check. Good excuse to buy a full set of impact sockets either way.
NJV6

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its common and provided you do something about it it will be fine. You will know as soon as you take the centre cap off if it is loose or not. I had to buy a 36mm socket for when doing rear wheel bearings.
Miner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked in tomorrow for service.... need it for track day on Thursday night and going offroading next weekend, working 10-12hr days at the moment so no time to mess around as got bike to prep.  

UPDATED:

They are going to check the car over but were aware of the 36mm retaining nut issues.
Miner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have isolated this to the exhaust rubbers....

As part of a 7500 AED estimation for a full front and rear suspension rebuild (not required, laughable actually).... these were flagged up for replacment.  As part of my assessment of the garage's assessment, I was under the car with the workshop manager and they are pretty worn, exhaust is loose.  Of the legit items they addressed/put forward for repair, along with adjusting my towbar and tailgate, he did say that he thought this could be a culprit for knocking.

On the drive home the knocking noise reared it head again.... but it didnt seem as cut and dried as before, so tried a few different things to set it off.  Took it to get washed underneath on the way home and had a good look at it on the ramp... you can see where it runs up and over the rear subframe and gets very close.  Managed to give a few sharp bumps without setting it off, stood on the sides and rear of the car bouncing it hard - no noises/issues.  Going to work today I managed to get the knock to happen by going round a roundabout and making a couple of sharp changes of direction to induce sway.... turned sharp off the roundabout.... clunk!

It was half hour before the garage closed and didnt have time to leave the car as need it today for work/trackday.... but will get one of the local tyre and exhaust places to replace the rubbers before I go to Liwa offroading next weekend.

Still worth checking the hub bolts?
Miner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:49    Post subject: Close Out :) Reply with quote

Clunking noise gone.... was the exhaust rubbers that had perished, one was split.... survived 2d offroading in Liwa Desert and didn't fall off, now fixed as of yesterday's service. Smile

Points raised by NJV6 were also checked by the dealer as part of an overall inspection of the suspension previously - no issues reported thankfully! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: