QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Changing Front Discs - 2003 Pinin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pinin & Jnr technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nja-nja

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 20:27    Post subject: Changing Front Discs - 2003 Pinin Reply with quote

At the recent MOT one of the advisories was to change the discs (as well as the pads which were just on the limit). Having done this on various cars in the past and taking the front wheels off to look at what was needed and noticing the discs weren't seized on and would seem to come off easily I got new discs and pads

The old discs came off easily (the bolts holding the caliper support carrier were a bit of a pig, but came off easily with some slight persuasion), and I have put everything back together using the new discs and pads, but the new discs seem to be pressing very hard on the outside pads (the discs are slightly off of the hubs at the front due to the pads pressing hard on the rear of the disc) - which I assume is not normal.

I notice that on the caliper support carrier that the nuts seem to be adjustable. Is this the case and if so is there any advice on how to best go about adjusting them to ensure the best fit.

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 20:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just looked in the Pinin Repair Manual and the calipers are similar to all the trucks on here and are of the sliding caliper type.

I think that probably the slider pins are seized and stopping the caliper moving freely. remove the pins, clean them up and grease them with silicone grease (NOT copper grease).

That will allow the calipers to slide into the correct position and take the pressure off the disc.

I have a copy of the workshop manual for the Pinin on my Google Drive which you are welcome to download HERE

The file is 100MB and is a zip file. Once downloaded, extract the files with a right-click and search the folders for HF35 which is the section on brake servicing.
nja-nja

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That was a very accurate diagnosis. Three out of the 4 pins were seized. It isn't an arrangement I haven't come across before, but you are always learning in this life.

Good old PlusGas sorted them out and I gave all 4 a good clean and greased them up as your suggestion.

All went together well after that and the brakes are definitely a lot better (even taking it easy during the running in phase)

PS I had a copy of that manual I found here (manual dot pajero4x4 dot ru) which seems to have a lot of different Pajero related manuals, but I needed your interpretation to get my mind around the fact that those pins are supposed to slide.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fairly common problem with sliding calipers.

If the chrome has got damaged and the pins are rusting then they will seize again despite using silicone grease.

New ones are reasonably cheap HERE and some kits come with new rubber gaiters as a split in them will let water into the pin housing.

I remove my pins every year and regrease them - it's not a big job - I just remove one at a time and clean and grease it and replace it and then do the other.
nja-nja

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I remove my pins every year and regrease them - it's not a big job - I just remove one at a time and clean and grease it and replace it and then do the other.

A good tip - something to do after next years MOT, if it gets through. Got through with only needing to change a number plate bulb - which was a big surprise - but does tend to suggest next year might not be as easy.

Mitsubishi wouldn't change the bulb as the screws were rusted and the rear door handle cover is no longer a part they can supply, so they suggested getting one from a scrap yard. Turns out that if you take the rear door handle cover off you can get to the bulb from the inside anyway (which was news to the Mitsubishi garage!!)
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that Mitsy dealers only seem interested in new cars.

Mine is 23 years old and went in to the main dealer for a free recall that had been outstanding for 18 years. They did the work but it was obvious they really didn't want my truck in their nice clean garage. Also - there was only one bloke in the workshop that looked older than my truck!

My MOT is due soon - I have started work on it already as every year takes a bit longer to get it prepared.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pinin & Jnr technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: