2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Green laning or modified car insurance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / Montero insurers / insurance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
786evo8

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:26    Post subject: Green laning or modified car insurance. Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've recently purchased a JDM MK4 Pajero SWB 3.8 v6 (loving it!) and now am looking for a little info and advice  Very Happy

I'm looking at obtaining suitable insurance and would like to know what are the minimum requirements needed for "green laning" or "modified" car insurance. The Paj is currently standard and i would like to have it modified over the next 6-12 months. Currently I don't know how the Paj handles off road so not sure what changes are needed.

I'm guessing:
off road tyres
rock sliders
snorkel
maybe a winch at most?

Would this be enough to qualify for these types of policy's?

I need this type of insurance policy from the start as i don't want to be limited to what i can do to the car and don't want the hassle of buying a normal policy then having to cancel it mid term and take out a new policy once parts start to get fitted.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who's faced this problem so any help/advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jav  newb
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got larger wheels and AT tyres, a front winch, a towbar, a bull bar, some seats removed. I don't do green laning but all I did was to inform my insurer of the modifications and they gave me a price.

I am insured with Adrian Flux.

And yes - the towbar is classed as a modification as it wasn't fitted to the vehicle at the factory.
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green lanes are normal, legal public roads, so shouldn't need any special insurance (though you will of course need insurance, MOT, seatbelt, sticking to speed limits etc). In general you don't need any special equipment either - though there are some that aren't in very good condition or have always been a challenge for motor vehicles. However a standard Pajero doesn't normally have any trouble on the majority of lanes that are in regular use by farmers for example. Mark 1 and 2 are probably the best due to their basic mechanicals, sturdiness and lack of complex electrics - but later models aren't exactly rubbish off the tarmac either.

Generally stick on some decent all terrain tyres (eg BF Goodrich ATKO) with a decent sidewall - if you've got 19" alloys you might want to consider getting something smaller that'll just fit over your brakes, but give you maximum tyre size. For grip on uneven surfaces you want the tyre to be able to deform and wrap round whatever it can get, so no skinny low profile tyres! No need for mud terrains unless you're planning on driving about in muddy fields (even then, ATs are usually good enough). MTs can be a bit noisy on roads and often don't corner or stop well at high speed.

No need for a snorkel/winch/rock sliders unless you're going well off the beaten track and have the experience built up to know how to use them.

The first thing to do is find out who in your area goes out greenlaning and go out with them - don't go out alone unless you've got a lot of experience as if you get stuck you might find yourself with no mobile signal and no way of getting unstuck, other than walking to find a local farmer who probably won't be best pleased. It's a lot more fun with two or ideally three cars, because the more people reading the map or looking out for the hidden gateway the better. Plus if one gets stuck or breaks down, the others can tow it or go to get help.

Next - do lots of research using Ordnance Survey maps and your local council's Definitive Map which shows rights of way. Just because you see a track or road shown on an OS map doesn't mean it's open to the public. If you get caught driving on someone's private land the penalties can be high, especially if you're disturbing livestock or causing damage to plants. There may be temporary restrictions around lambing time for example too.

Finally consider the weather and condition of the ground - you mustn't damage the lanes or they'll get closed. So if it looks like you'll have to drive outside the existing wheel tracks, consider whether you can do that without damaging the surface. I've binned several planned greenlaning trips because it's rained heavily the day before.

Sadly a lot of lanes are closing or being reclassified as footpaths (definitely no driving on footpaths or bridleways, that's very illegal), or being modified so that they're only passable by motorbikes or quad bikes rather than full size 4x4s.  

If you haven't done so already, read the Greenlaning section of this site, and also the Green Lane Association's website (https://www.glass-uk.org/)
786evo8

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies.

I spoke to Adrian Flux and they were very helpful so now i'm alot more relaxed about modifying my car.

Rich, thank you so much for all that info! It was a great read and will start as suggested by changing to A/T tyres first and then modify as needed.  

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / Montero insurers / insurance All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: