Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Heater flap box troubleshooting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:59    Post subject: Heater flap box troubleshooting Reply with quote

After my Paj stopped producing air from any dashboard vent after not being used over winter, I guessed it was probably a clogged aircon evaporator. So this weekend I removed the rear battery, battery tray, disconnected the aircon pipes from the bulkhead (empty and non-working anyway), removed the glovebox and bar, then removed the aircon section of the HVAC system. Actually not too difficult or time consuming really. But apart from a few dried leaves, there was no obstruction there.

So I refitted it and reconnected the front battery so I could test things with the blower motor accessible. The blower works just fine on all speeds. The air goes through the aircon box with no problem. But once it gets to the flap box it doesn't go to the vents. When I press buttons to select different vents I can't hear any motors turning to move the flaps. I have a feeling then that there must a blockage or flap that's out of position.

The problem is that the workshop manual I've got doesn't cover the all electronic climate control system, only the cable operated manual heater controls. And of course the flap box isn't really that easy to get to without removing a lot of stuff!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to start troubleshooting this?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don,t know much on trouble shooting it but when i had all my dash apart last year i did notice a black box on the side of the box that has the flaps,the box was on the drivers side and could be seen when the lower part of the drivers dash was removed (the part that has fuel and bonnet release on it) i think thats what controls the flaps,so maybe you could remove the box and test it and maybe check what ever it attaches to Question if that is the flap control unit Question
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers - it's a start anyway. I guess I need to remove more trim (and the radio/heater controls) to see if I can follow the wires from the motors that move the flaps and then stick my multimeter and maybe oscilloscope on them to see if they're being commanded to move or whether the issue is mechanical. The wiring diagrams I have don't show this system either - just the supply to the blower motor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: