Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

O/D gearbox for Pajero Mini wanted please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPB

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 13:16    Post subject: O/D gearbox for Pajero Mini wanted please. Reply with quote

I would very much like to try the 4 speed with o/d 4th as the stock 3 speed gearbox in my Mini is just a little too low geared since 3rd is 1:1 and no o/d is available.
Looking at the specs in the manual and realising that the o/d option came with even lower geared diffs, the use of the o/d 4th in a n/a, 16 valve Mini would in fact raise the gearing from 1 to 0.6 to 1 and this would chop the crankspeed from 6000rpm at 60mph to an almost relaxing 5000rpm at a more useful cruising speed of 65mph assuming that I stay with the current 185/65%x15 tyres which are 6% smaller on the circumference than the correct, but hideously expensive (Yokohama Super Digger at £90 each) or budget but dear on fuel (E-rated Nankang at £47 each).
Even if I do bite the bullet and go for the Yokos to match the tyre hanging from the Mini's back door, the car would never be high geared and that's fine, but 10mph per 1000rpm isn't conducive to a relaxing drive for the wee car or for me!
Laughing

I wouldn't want to swap my 38000 miles from new 3 speed original 'box as it's so fresh that the fluid is still bright pink, the TC locks up as it should and the brake band and clutch papers must be as new too, since the 'box takes off with no lag, changes positively, quickly and smoothly between ratios, but I wouldn't mind an o/d box of greater mileage since I would replace its wearing parts and flush it on the bench prior to fitting a new strainer and refilling with new ATF, but once the o/s box is found, fitted and working, I could then offer my original unit for sale to anyone who owns a MIni with a sloppy gearbox and who doesn't mind wearing ear defenders for driving.

I would obviously prefer a known quantity, fully working unit, but am realistic in my expectations so hit me with any suitable units that could be purchased pleased. Supplier of such a thing would be guaranteed a place on my Christmas card list and a genuine McVitie's choccy biccie if they deliver to my place, though I could collect within around 200KM of NE61*** and shouldn't need help to lift a <30KG lump of car into the bB's commodious boot space.

Thanks in advance. Cool
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 13:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: