2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Losing coolant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minirob

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 20:45    Post subject: Losing coolant Reply with quote

Hi guys

I’m losing coolant (and always have). Since I’ve owned our 1999 Mk2 SWB, that’s 4 years, it’s always lost coolant. It’s not getting any worse but there isn’t an obvious leak. I have just got used to topping up the expansion bottle every 1 to 2 weeks, dependent on mileage. No water in the oil or emulsion on the the oil filler cap and zero fluid on the road. The truck seems to just ‘use coolant’. There is slight dampness just under the thermostat housing but surely it would be obvious if that was the problem. Ideas anyone?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 20:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a similar problem with my 2.8 diesel Challenger ever since I've owned it.  Every few weeks it needs about 250ml of coolant.  When I do my next coolant change I am going to add some UV dye and see if there's any trace after a few weeks.  

Without really knowing, I've thought that it's probably a tiny weep from somewhere that's evaporating from the heat of the engine.  I would have thought that on yours the dampness under the thermostat may well be the source of the problem.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did what Vijay had suggested to me and added some UV dye to the coolant. Even though the leak is so small that the header tank level hadn't dropped at all during a recent 2,200 mile round trip to the Pyrenees, the UV dye has identified the leak. It's on the banjo joint that takes coolant from the turbo to the thermostat housing, and as I suspected was dripping onto the block and evaporating.  It's left its mark though, and was easily visible under UV light:

It's formed a crust near the leak, which makes it very easy to locate the problem:

I used Ring coolant dye.   http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/products/Workshop+Tools/Leak+Detection/Fluorescent+Dyes/RLD2

Really pleased with the result.  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: