QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

1996 edc lift pump primer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wales660

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 21:38    Post subject: 1996 edc lift pump primer Reply with quote

Preparing the pajero for mot so decided to use Liqui Moly Diesel Purge to clean the pump and injectors running this neat from a bottle bypassing the fuel tank and lift pump. Lots of videos on youtube how to do it ,its very easy to do. I run 1.5 ltrs through it . my observations was how well the pajero ticked over whilst purging  dead solid tick over was very impressed how well it was idling.

Took the fuel lift pump off the car to change the filter and filled the new filter with the liqui moly  then tried to prime the mushroom but nothing was happening so i assume its broken? Could this be letting air in to the fuel ?

Been looking for a new lift pump but cant see one anywhere which looks like mine. Mine has 2 sensors  on it .

1 built into the housing
1 screws into bottom of filter

Only ones available for sale dont seem to have the sensor in the housing

Any help much appreciate    Oh and passed its MOT today with 2 advisories , cracked windscreen and small oil leak Very Happy  Very Happy

Mot guy said the emmissions was a very low reading too
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 21:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you open the bleed screw?  It can feel like nothing's happening, but eventually fuel flows out.

What about the 'extra' seal on the filter? If it there and not removed, it can let air in.   The top of the filter should look like the one on the left.

The sensor on the plastic base of the filter is to indicate the presence of water in the trap.  The other may not be a sensor, but a heating element connection.

Did you put the 'O' ring back to get a good seal on the water trap?

To me, it would seem more likely than air's getting in that your primer pump has failed - although that's not impossible.
vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call your Mitsi dealers, they were cheaper than Milners or Ebay when I bought mine
wales660

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

My filter was same as the one on the right hand of the picture.

It came with a new  o ring for the bottom which i replaced  but wasn't aware of removing the  extra seal you  have mentioned. The old filter too had the extra seal still in place.

I virtually filled the new filter to the top before screwing it to the housing then opened the bleed screw and pumped it but nothing came out, even tried it with bleed screw closed and the mushroom did not get hard just very loose like it was doing nothing. Tried to start the pajero and it started straight away and idled  pretty good but not as good when it was running the liqui moly on purging.

So was the lift pump you got from main dealer same as mine with some kind of heater in the housing? basically looks the same as the ones on ebay except its got 2 wires coming out of it which plugs into the wiring loom
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the second seal in place, the filter needs to be tightened up a lot in order to crush it down. My advice would be to remove the filter, take off the seal, and try again.

It's worth a go before you go to the expense of a new housing.
vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely go with Simon's advice here
wales660

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info

I would have never known to remove the extra seal otherwise.  Will take it back off and remove that seal.

Thanks

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: