Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Pre-fill oil filter?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

while your knocking around on this post Mark do you know of other places the 2.8 pump can leak from had a call from a guy who said he has deisel leeking from somewhere around the pump,it,s not his seal as he had it done last year...he jsu said if you feel around the pump his had is damp with fuel,ive told him to check his fuel feed return pipes and the 4 injector fuel pipes..ive not had a chance to look at it yet Exclamation
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil galleries in the crankshaft and elsewhere remain with oil when the oil filter is removed, providing oil at the bearings when cranked. The cam lobes dip into an oil bath below each lobe.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekker wrote:
The oil galleries in the crankshaft and elsewhere remain with oil when the oil filter is removed, providing oil at the bearings when cranked. The cam lobes dip into an oil bath below each lobe.

But not the ones around the area of the oil filter,  the one above will drain completely the  moment the oil filter is loosened, that's how it's dribbles for a while once the filter is removed.

At the end of the day I  personally think it's preferable to start the engine once leaving it to idle the few seconds until oil pressure is achieved rather stop start....  prolly not a lot in it but it's my choice  Very Happy
hutchy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i have done oil changes i just start it up and leave it on tickover for around 20-30 minutes let it cool and recheck the oil level..even though i top it up just above half on the dipstick to allow the extra for the new filter when doing the oil change...the awkward bit is on some newer cars they don,t have dipsticks and rely on stupid oil level sensors,my mates Merc is one of them..so now i do his oil the way i do my transmission measure the amount taken out in a jug add an extra 300ml for the filter and put the same amount back in,and then check if the sensor picks up on it being low or not but i always tell him if the dash starts screaming for engine oil just top it up a bit at a time Exclamation
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchy wrote:
the awkward bit is on some newer cars they don,t have dipsticks and rely on stupid oil level sensors

The new shape Mini's have this too and it boils me piss more than i can describe.... what self respecting engineer designs and engine with an oil storage and no dip stick? its a complete farce  Mad
hutchy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

can,t be worse than some Mercs they fit the dipstick tube but then they don,t give you the dipstick so you have to take it to a dealer for them to check it,but if you go on fleabay you can buy one for a fiver what a joke...but your right these days it,s just sensors for everything,won,t be long before they bring one out to wipe your *beep* with Laughing
vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchy wrote:
while your knocking around on this post Mark do you know of other places the 2.8 pump can leak from had a call from a guy who said he has deisel leeking from somewhere around the pump,it,s not his seal as he had it done last year...he jsu said if you feel around the pump his had is damp with fuel,ive told him to check his fuel feed return pipes and the 4 injector fuel pipes..ive not had a chance to look at it yet Exclamation

This might be worth a try http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/products/Workshop+Tools/Leak+Detection/Fluorescent+Dyes/RLD4
hutchy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will let him know as i am to busy playing with paint stripper on my replacement wings Wink
assassin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil bypass is located in the engine block so Mark is correct, they also have a non return valve fitted in the filter on most cars these days.
Shogun/Pajero models have a non return valve fitted in the oil gallery above the filter and once the engine is turning the air pressure produced by the pump as it picks up oil to prime the filter is sufficient to blow this oil in the gallery into the top of the engine and use this while the filter primes and it blows only oil around the engine.

The oil bypass is fitted below the filter and if the filter is clogged it simply bypasses the filter totally to prevent a damaged or clogged filter discharging dirt into the oil galleries.

To sum up, when you start the engine it begins to pump oil from the sump, the air between the pumped oil and the non return valve in the oil gallery pressurises to around 4-5psi and this blows the oil in the gallery above the non return valve into the engine to give it some oil during the priming phase, the oil pressure switch cuts in at around 5-6PSI and the air pressure is insufficient to shut this off so the oil light remains on, once the filter is primed and the pressure is high enough the oil light goes out, and it quickly fills the gallery and gives the top end of the engine fresh oil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: