2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Cleaning Oil Contaminated Cooling Systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:19    Post subject: Cleaning Oil Contaminated Cooling Systems Reply with quote

Its a regular question and one with a simple answer, how do I clean my cooling system contaminated with oil.

Many people have had the blown head gasket or the transmission coolers which are integrated with the radiator blow and they have a nightmare of a job cleaning out the contaminated cooling system.

1/ Drain the cooling system of all its contaminated coolant, not forgetting detaching the rear pipe if you have the rear heater fitted.
2/ Fill the cooling system with clean water and run the engine until hot and drain again.

3/ Now for the magic ingredient, dishwasher cleaner, you need the cheapest low foam flakes you can get and not the liquid tabs if possible.
4/ Mix about 5 teaspoons of the dishwasher flakes into a cup of water until dissolved and pour into the drained cooling system, add clean water 1 litre and very slowly.
5/ Repeat steps 3 & 4 again.
6/ Fill the remainder of the system with clean water and add some to the expansion tank if fitted.

7/ Run the engine with the radiator cap off and as the cooling mixture expands and comes out of the radiator cap, refit the cap and let the engine run until it is fully warmed, and stop the engine and drain using the bottom hose removal method by quickly removing the bottom hose with the engine as hot as possible, and beware of the hot mixture coming out.

8/ If the system is really contaminated you may have to repeat the flushing procedure above, again.

9/ Remove as many hoses as possible and run water through them to flush out as many voids and galleries as possible to remove the dishwasher soap, fill the system with pure water and run the engine and drain.
10/ Fill the system with water and anti freeze and bleed if necessary.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can only get the dishwasher liquid pods then cut off a corner and run it into a cup, dilute with water and pour into the cooling system.
hutchy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

forte do a cooling system cleaner specially designed for getting rid of oil out the cooling system...i was a bit sceptical at first i tried it on a rover K series as we all know they are common with head gaskets going due to the week design of the head gasket and locating dowels, and it did work very well not only did it shift all the oil but also pulled any other bits of *beep* out..i know the dish washer soap maybe cheaper though as the forte stuff was around £14 a bottle Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: