Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Chassis swaps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> L200 technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparksie

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:30    Post subject: Chassis swaps? Reply with quote

Hi all

A neighbor has an early L200 crew cab pickup, 2.5 Turbo diesel, 1992 reg.
This year it failed the test because of catastrophic corrosion on the chassis.
Quite how it can have got so bad without even an advisory last year, is a mystery.
I and several other repairers have looked at it and, given the cost of engineers reports on any such repairs, the consensus is that a replacement chassis is the best option to save it.
He's not computer literate, so he asked me to find out what his options are.
I doubt there will be a '92 in a breakers, and if a new chassis is even still available, the cost is likely to far exceed the value of the 4x4.
With this in mind, he's particularly interested to know what later models might have a suitable chassis to rebuild his car around.
Anybody know?
Thanks for any help

Sparksie
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Sparksie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again.
I thought I should mention that I have read and understood assassin's very thorough tutorial on chassis repairs.
I have the equipment and the skills to use it, but those sort of repairs are not accepted on roadgoing vehicles over here.
Well, strictly speaking, they are, but under impossibly strict conditions, which makes it uneconomic to do.
Any such repairs will not be passed in the DOE (Irish MOT), without an independent engineers report and a dealers stamp of approval.
Ironically, as long as it's not in a designated area, like a spring carrier, or shock mounting point for example, a shoddy plated repair IS still accepted.
This L200 has gone far beyond that, though, so in order to save it, we really need to source a serviceable chassis.
So... any suggestions, or any ideas we may not have come up with ourselves, will be much appreciated!
I was wondering about the feasibility of exporting it, carrying out the repairs, getting a UK MOT, then importing it back, but I suspect this would be fraught with red tape.
Thanks guys

Sparksie
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you will get an answer on here for this.

I've been on here a while and can't remember anyone doing a chassis swap on any model.
Sparksie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I doubt you will get an answer on here for this.

I've been on here a while and can't remember anyone doing a chassis swap on any model.

Hi and thanks.
No, I realise it's not a common thing to do, but putting a different body onto an existing chassis is not so unusual and, when you think about it, thats really the same thing, just viewed from a different perspective.
So, if I wanted to make something else look like a '92 L200, what would be my best starter vehicles?
That's pretty common in Land Rover circles, where the chassis hasn't changed much for years, so a '60s 4x4 can have a '90s body and interior, or conversely, a modern 4x4 can appear to be from the 60's, because the body mounting points are all in the same place and people chop and change to suit their taste and budget.
While I haven't heard of this in Mitsubishi circles, it wouldn't be a shock to find they had economised by using the same basic chassis across a range of vehicles.
I thought the old Pajero UK club would be the place to find out, but that seems to have disbanded, so I did a quick search and this seemed like a similar sort of club, so I joined up.
The architecture is a little less user friendly and the L200 is shunted off into a less frequented corner of the site, so I did wonder about posting it in the more active areas, where somebody who knows, but doesn't currently have an L200, might spot it.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The L200 and the Shogun Sport share a lot of common components - so maybe a chassis from a Sport would fit.

The trouble is that the donor would have to be of a similar year to the L200 - so it would probably be in similar condition.

With a vehicle of that age then you have to ask if it is worth saving in this way - you will likely have to spend much more than the finished vehicle will be worth.

It is a big job!
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
The L200 and the Shogun Sport share a lot of common components - so maybe a chassis from a Sport would fit.

Correct, but a '92 L200 (aka Triton) is of a different generation which ended production in '96 when the production of the Challenger/Sport began.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Triton

I very much doubt if the chassis was carried over. A further complication would be the rear suspension. Most Challenger/Sports are on coils, whereas the L200/Triton is on leafs.  A Mk1 Pajero/Shogun is more likely to be a better donor vehicle.

These were also sold as Hyundai Gallopers in various markets, including Europe.  A Galloper chassis might be worth considering, as they were made long after the Mk1 Pajero ceased production.
hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

in all honesty if it were me i would strip it down to the bare chassis and then decide on either a swap or get an engineering place to carry out repairs to it if it,s major or if it,s minor cut the rot out then use some good thick engineering steel and repair it...taking into account the chassis alignment is bang on  Exclamation
Sparksie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of that, guys.
I didn't know there was a Hyundai clone, though I know they rely heavily on obsolete Mitsi stuff for most of their range.
That's worth a bit of research.
Hutchy, if this was a vaguely sensible nation, like the UK, or indeed any other European country, I'd have done it already.
I've done plenty of both patch-it-up-so-I-can-get-one-more-year-out-of-it AND make-it-right chassis repairs in the past, but nowadays they won't allow the latter, without a ridiculous amount of costly paperwork.
The bodge job is considered less of an alteration, as the existing chassis is left intact and the (ahem)"repair" is simply reinforcing it.
Sure, it's a great little country, to be sure, so it is!
It would drive you insane, if you took it seriously.
You have to have a "safety statement" before you can lift a broom, nowadays!
The owner of this particular example spends his Sundays polishing his baby and trying to figure out where he could fit another couple of lights.
It has always gone through the test with minimal work and didn't even get an advisory, last time.
He was intending to take it to a local harvest festival, with a 20 Diesel on a trailer and some equipment in the load bed, where the whole ensemble would get entry to the exhibitors area. Now he'll have to use a modern, which will have to be parked elsewhere, until the festival is over.
I think he's a long way from giving up, yet, so keep the suggestions coming
Thanks, guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> L200 technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: