2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Tensioning twin drive belts on alternator - warning!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 21:31    Post subject: Tensioning twin drive belts on alternator - warning! Reply with quote

According to Gates Rubber, when multiple drive belts are used the recommended single belt tension should be divided by the number of belts used.  So when twin belts are employed, half the recommended tension should be applied to each belt.

Bear this in mind when tensioning the alternator belts in order to avoid putting excess load on the alternator bearings.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 21:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can be both right and wrong, for gates I have no doubt it is correct.

Many types from different manufacturers stretch and need regular adjusting after fitting and people need to be wary of this. One premium brand a friend fitted needed 7 adjustments in 500 miles to keep the tension correct.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
This can be both right and wrong, for gates I have no doubt it is correct.

Dividing the recommended single-belt tension by the number of belts would seem to be a general rule to calculate the correction tension for individual belts in multiple belt arrangements. All of the formulae I've seen have the number of belts at the base of the equation.

assassin wrote:
Many types from different manufacturers stretch and need regular adjusting after fitting and people need to be wary of this. One premium brand a friend fitted needed 7 adjustments in 500 miles to keep the tension correct.

I agree with you about the need to check the tension after the belt has been run for a short time.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not always the case as many multi belt arrangements have larger ratings in the front bearings to account for the extra load and leverage or they fit a larger bearing altogether.

Belt construction is also changing, most were made with a carbon fibre core for strength with the rubber laminated over it, now they are cheapening them by switching from carbon fibre to glass strand mat, the same stuff you use for laying up GRP. Even cam belts are changing and Seat fit these to the Mii with a 30,000 mile changing interval while Skoda and VW use the same engine and fit the carbon cored ones with a 100,000 mile change interval.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: