Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Injector cleaner Diesel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solanog

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 16:04    Post subject: Injector cleaner Diesel Reply with quote

I own a 2.8 diesel 2008 Montero, this is in Costa Rica.  They sell both 2.8 and 3.2 diesel as of now.  3.2 are very expensive and I'm not quite sure about their reliability, eventhough they are better on paper.

This car is working fine, no issues "cold" starting here we get around 15 degrees celsius in the morning so not that cold  Smile , it idles a little rough you can feel the vibration when idling, it may be normal but since this is only my second diesel, had an X-Trail that worked very nicely and smooth compared to the Montero. Maybe more advanced technology on the Nissan.

The question is, are fuel injectors any good? would they help on reducing black smoke, improve idling, save fuel?

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 16:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use injector cleaner on a regular basis to advantage, most claim to prevent contamination in the fuel tank too. I've used it for years.

For black smoke, clean the internals of the EGR valve first, be sure the air filter is clean, or replace it as a precautionary step.
Dave Spalding

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Hopefully I can help you a bit here.

So basically you have two issues a rough idle and black smoke. It's the 2.8 diesel you have. Well my first port of call would be a service and when you change the fuel filter fill the new one with injector cleaner. Secondly consider blanking the Egr valve off (you can get kits online for this). Hopefully this will solve your problems. However if not then check for leaky injectors or the possibility that the fuel system is drawing in air somewhere along its route.
dervdave

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 19:42    Post subject: Re: Injector cleaner Diesel Reply with quote

solanog wrote:
I own a 2.8 diesel 2008 Montero, this is in Costa Rica.  They sell both 2.8 and 3.2 diesel as of now.  3.2 are very expensive and I'm not quite sure about their reliability, eventhough they are better on paper.

This car is working fine, no issues "cold" starting here we get around 15 degrees celsius in the morning so not that cold  Smile , it idles a little rough you can feel the vibration when idling, it may be normal but since this is only my second diesel, had an X-Trail that worked very nicely and smooth compared to the Montero. Maybe more advanced technology on the Nissan.

The question is, are fuel injectors any good? would they help on reducing black smoke, improve idling, save fuel?

Thanks

Try putting 300mls of two stroke oil in a full tank of diesel  Wink
solanog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good part here is that in Costa Rica, at least the 2.8 has no EGR valve it is already blanked out.

There are no tons of black smoke but it is there.  Idling feels rough compared to the other diesel I had and compared to my father's X5 which is very smooth.

I've never heard about pouring the injector cleaner directly in the filter, but sounds like it will get a concentrated dosis, that would do a good work, I think.  It will be consumed very rapidly, Is it o.k to drive the car running on injector cleaner or should I leave iddling while it burns the cleaner?
Dave Spalding

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will run though the filters full of cleaner pretty quick. Be lucky if you had time to get in the drivers seat.

I wouldnt compare it to a modern BMW diesel. Its an old pretty agricultural engine so wont be smooth as silk.
cjard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

solanog wrote:
 It will be consumed very rapidly, Is it o.k to drive the car running on injector cleaner or should I leave iddling while it burns the cleaner?

Given that diesel injector pumps return at least 99% of the diesel they draw through the filter, to the fuel tank, i'd say that filling the filter with it is pretty much a waste of time. Dump it in the tank (much easier) and drive it like normal. Whatever is in the cleaner that is dissolving whatever deposits it is supposed to dissolve, is going to do it gradually anyway
solanog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now maybe a dumb question  but I would like to know the reason!  When a car smokes, black smoke, it is suppossed to unburned fuel, generally it is getting more fuel than needed.  When this happens generally the first thing you think of and get recommendations are about changing the fuel filter. So if the fuel filter is "clogged" why will the engine be getting to much fuel to burn and consecuently smoke?  Would it be the other way around? No smoke, no power since there is lack of fuel?

Wouldn't new filter mean less restriction, better flow of fuel to the engine so more fuel to be unburned and more black smoke?
trekker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel is fed to each injector by a precision volumetric pump, that's within the injector pump. That same pump draws excess fuel from the tank, and returns to the tank what is not fed to the engine.

Change your air filter, as in this case a restricted filter will limit the air to the turbo and therefor the engine, whilst the pump will deliver fuel at the calibrated rate, hence black smoke from the exhaust.
solanog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air filter is 3 months old like 5000Km.  
What about fuel filter, why would it be the cause of black smoke? It will restrict fuel delivery so no excess fuel going to the engine, true? Generally excess (unburnt) fuel causes black smoke.

Regards
dervdave

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

solanog wrote:
Now maybe a dumb question  but I would like to know the reason!  When a car smokes, black smoke, it is suppossed to unburned fuel, generally it is getting more fuel than needed.

It does mean unburnt diesel and can be caused by poor/incomplete combustion as well as overfuelling.
Dirty/knackered injectors ?
cjard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

solanog wrote:
Air filter is 3 months old like 5000Km.  
What about fuel filter, why would it be the cause of black smoke?

Who told you it would?

Quote:
It will restrict fuel delivery so no excess fuel going to the engine, true?

Er.. it'd have to be really blocked to start having an impact, but it would be loss of power rather than black smoke
cjard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

solanog wrote:
Now maybe a dumb question  but I would like to know the reason!  When a car smokes, black smoke, it is suppossed to unburned fuel, generally it is getting more fuel than needed

Well, it might be getting exactly the right amount of diesel needed, but not enough air. Fuel is a mix of air and diesel, the mix has to be right.. Fuel can be too rich (too much diesel per unit of air) either because too much diesel was added to a certain volume of air, or because not enough air was added to a certain volume of diesel
Straly

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice info! thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: