eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

sun roof

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuria

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:32    Post subject: sun roof Reply with quote

swb 2.5td 1992.
 sunroof with large screw type opening.
today it poured down here and there seems to be a small leak around the large
screw type opener!!!! any ideas where to look first chaps...
also is this type standard fitment ?
thanks  Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have an ultrasonic leak detector or can borrow one, the best thing to do is to get someone to gently spray some water onto the sunroof whilst you're inside with an absorbent rag observing.  Try and see exactly where it's coming through the seal. It might have been dislodged or something has become trapped in it.   Also check that the drains are clear. If the channel is filling with water, that could cause leaks.

Generally if the bodywork has been flanged to accept a sunroof, that will have been an original fitment. Aftermarket sunroofs normally sit on top of the roof, which has an aperture cut in it.
Simonfathead

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this with my little swb the sun roof used to leak quite bad. The seals around the glass can perish quite easily and there is a small drain hole somewhere in the sunroof gutering (i Have been told) but i have never found it!!! it was meant to be connected to a small plastic tube, so if you find it dont push anything in there as it could push this tube off and all the water will they drain into the cab and to fix that it means removing the roof lining. I think this drain goes down to the floor somewhere but as on mine I couldnt find it but could be worth a look at the sun roof once the glass has been removed which will make it easier.
assassin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the roof and clean and polish the aperture, then clean the rubbers thoroughly as usually it is trapped muck somewhere and the tiniest particle can cause a leak.
samuria

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
Open the roof and clean and polish the aperture, then clean the rubbers thoroughly as usually it is trapped muck somewhere and the tiniest particle can cause a leak.

thanks... so is this type of sunroof fitted to other pajeros???
Simonfathead

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my little SWB had the one with the large screw type, i never had the sun visor fitted but it was nice when i took it off (as it doesn't open all the way)
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 20:30    Post subject: Re: sun roof Reply with quote

samuria wrote:
swb 2.5td 1992.
 sunroof with large screw type opening.
today it poured down here and there seems to be a small leak around the large
screw type opener!!!! any ideas where to look first chaps...
also is this type standard fitment ?
thanks  Wink

Unless I'm reading this wrong .?, Is water entering through the actual knob/handle that secures the roof when closed ? It doesn't sound like your talking about the actual outer weatherseal around the sunroof perimeter ?
samuria

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it was just a small drip from the actual ( knob as you put it.....)
cleaned round the  aperture and seal with polish no leaks so far...... Confused
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuria wrote:
yes it was just a small drip from the actual ( knob as you put it.....)
cleaned round the  aperture and seal with polish no leaks so far...... Confused

Is there a rubber gasket around the closing mechanism ?, if so, and you can remove it clean it thoroughly and re-install with some silicone grease , that hopefully will stop any water ingress in future, or it's possible that the seal has perished over the years and shrunk, if it's possible ( I dont know without actually seeing it) I would make another gasket from some supple rubber, Iv'e done this before on other cars (not mine) and not Pajero and it was successful.
assassin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

No gasket Ken just the rubber seal,

If you get water ingress then it will usually run to the knob and leak, so firstly you need to identify where the leak is and usually it is the dirty seal as this is the hollow expanding rubber and any dirt trapped between it and the frame lets water through at a higher rate than the drain channels can cope with, it can happen on any part of the vehicle with these seals which is normally doors letting wind through at speed and whistling.

By cleaning the frame and polishing it you do two things, removing all the dirt and making it nice and shiny (they are painted) and this helps the seal slide into the aperture nicely, cleaning the rubber seal ensures it too is nicely cleaned and removes the very small grit particles which embed between it and the aperture which create micro leaks and it helps the seal bed correctly into the aperture with full contact with no tracks for water to get through.

Simple and effective in most cases and its a job you do a couple of times a year.
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
No gasket Ken just the rubber seal,

If you get water ingress then it will usually run to the knob and leak, so firstly you need to identify where the leak is and usually it is the dirty seal as this is the hollow expanding rubber and any dirt trapped between it and the frame lets water through at a higher rate than the drain channels can cope with, it can happen on any part of the vehicle with these seals which is normally doors letting wind through at speed and whistling.

By cleaning the frame and polishing it you do two things, removing all the dirt and making it nice and shiny (they are painted) and this helps the seal slide into the aperture nicely, cleaning the rubber seal ensures it too is nicely cleaned and removes the very small grit particles which embed between it and the aperture which create micro leaks and it helps the seal bed correctly into the aperture with full contact with no tracks for water to get through.

Simple and effective in most cases and its a job you do a couple of times a year.

Cheer's it was guess work on my part re any solutions as I have never seen the "manual" version sunroof system on a Pajero...  Wink.. A  decent picture would speak a thousand words ?
assassin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree Ken, a picture tells a thousand words.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: